• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

10 Day Extension for Inspection?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Classie83

What is the name of your state? NYC, NY

I had my car inspected and it failed the inspection because the memory was blank (don't know why). They said I'd have to drive my car to get more miles on it to get the memory back. ANYWAY, they gave me a ten day inspection extension. I received a ticket a couple days later. The inspection report was displayed in the window. Was the inspection place supposed to give me something else to display indicating that I had a 10 day extension? If not, why did I get a ticket?

Thanks in advanced.

patstew

What is the name of your state? NYC, NY

I had my car inspected and it failed the inspection because the memory was blank (don't know why). They said I'd have to drive my car to get more miles on it to get the memory back. ANYWAY, they gave me a ten day inspection extension. I received a ticket a couple days later. The inspection report was displayed in the window. Was the inspection place supposed to give me something else to display indicating that I had a 10 day extension? If not, why did I get a ticket?
Several things come to mind:

Was your ticket for non-inspection? You didn't specifically say.
Did the inspection place tell you displaying the report would keep you safe from ticketing?
Is it possible the officer didn't see the document?
What did they say about this when you called the number on the ticket?

Classie83

Hi. Thanks for responding.

Was your ticket for non-inspection? You didn't specifically say.
It was for missing inspection sticker.

Did the inspection place tell you displaying the report would keep you safe from ticketing?
Yes.

No. The document was displayed right on the driver's side of the dash. Perhaps he didn't read it.

I didn't call yet.

The best thing you can do is get your car inspected right away. Then take the extention note and bring it to the ALJ. Explain your story.

patstew

No. The document was displayed right on the driver's side of the dash. Perhaps he didn't read it.
Contrary to most people's beliefs, the officer doesn't have to go looking for evidence that a ticket shouldn't be given.

I didn't call yet.
You want to do that, then. Always go to the source first.

Classie83

Ok thanx. I guess the document wasn't displayed prominently enough for the officer to easily read. I'll just have to bring it downtown to see if I can get it dismissed or something. Thanks again.

You Are Guilty

I just took a quick look through the vehicle code and didn't see any provision for a 10 (or any number) day "extension" to be issued by a garage. What code/statute section is listed on the "extension letter"? It's sounding a lot like the garage has no clue what they're talking about.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">