• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

10 tickets for expired tags in CA

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

zavrey

What is the name of your state? California

I'm in a bind here with 10 tickets for having expired tags, all since 10/2005. Besides the lecture from you mom types out there as to why didn't I pay my registration in the first place, I'd rather have some advice as to how to proceed from this unpleasant position. At this point, the fines are worth nearly what the car is and I can't possibly afford to pay them (I have 3 kids and am a fulltime student). Is there any chance I can update the registration (and, yes, pay the fines on the other parking tickets like the expired meter, the street sweeping, etc. - which is why I couldn't afford to register it way back when...) and then find some kind of way to consolidate the 10 expired tag tickets into a more manageable fine? At this point, I owe over $1000 on the many tickets for the same thing basically. The trouble is, the courts in Alameda county don't hear "parking tickets" and these are considered parking tickets (even though it's a registration violation). Should I just find a lawyer and have them help me? or am I simply out of luck? any advice would be appreciated. Thanks.

The Occultist

If they are all from the same court, contact them and ask them what you can do. Once you show you are trying to pay your fines, they tend to get a little friendlier about it and may offer some sort of installment plan.

CdwJava

zavrey said:
I'm in a bind here with 10 tickets for having expired tags, all since 10/2005. Besides the lecture from you mom types out there as to why didn't I pay my registration in the first place, I'd rather have some advice as to how to proceed from this unpleasant position. At this point, the fines are worth nearly what the car is and I can't possibly afford to pay them (I have 3 kids and am a fulltime student). Is there any chance I can update the registration (and, yes, pay the fines on the other parking tickets like the expired meter, the street sweeping, etc. - which is why I couldn't afford to register it way back when...) and then find some kind of way to consolidate the 10 expired tag tickets into a more manageable fine? At this point, I owe over $1000 on the many tickets for the same thing basically. The trouble is, the courts in Alameda county don't hear "parking tickets" and these are considered parking tickets (even though it's a registration violation). Should I just find a lawyer and have them help me? or am I simply out of luck? any advice would be appreciated. Thanks.
It is likely that the tickets may have gone to collections or a lien has been placed on your vehicle. So, now, you not only have to pay the late registration AND the late fees, but you will also have to pay the tickets and the late fees to register or sell the vehicle!

Additionally, your vehicle can be towed or immobilized for having more than 5 parking tickets, and it can be impounded for being unregistered 6 months or more. You have been lucky that they have not simply towed it away.

You can always pay up the registration and THEn go to the city or county parking agency (as indicated on the citation) and ask for a hearing on the parking cites. It might not be too late to try and work something out. But, bottom line is that they do not have to work anything out with you. They can just take the car at this point.

- Carl

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">