• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

15 minute parking only...shopping centers

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

mitchelt

What is the name of your state? Colorado

I'm curious, there are some shopping centers in my area that have signs that say "15 Minute Parking Only". These signs are usually the ones that are directly in front of a store. I know why they put them there and that's fine, but after hours when these business's are closed it seems kind of silly not to be able to park in front of the Cleaners when I want to go to the restaurant a few doors down.

So, my question is, can these "15 Minute Parking Only" signs really be enforced? I should also mention that these signs do not say anything regarding violators can be towed.

seniorjudge

Ask the folks who put the signs there for a cite to their authority.

This always struck me as being kind of like library fines. No one could ever show me how or why it was legal for a library to charge and collect library fines.

Zigner

Senior Member, Non-Attorney
Ask the folks who put the signs there for a cite to their authority.

This always struck me as being kind of like library fines. No one could ever show me how or why it was legal for a library to charge and collect library fines.
It's legal because you sign the agreement to do so when you get your library card ;)

Raqui

I would ask the mall police about it. Usually the sign also has time on it like from this time to that time. So it clearly should state about after hours. But if there is not time on it then it proably means all the time.

Zigner

Senior Member, Non-Attorney
Well - to answer your question. The mall is private property. They COULD have you towed. I doubt it would happen after hours, but it is possible.
As for a citation - you probably won't get one (I'm speaking in generalities here)

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">