• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

19 YO Son Won't Return Borrowed Car

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

greentek

Texas. As in borrowed for over 2 years now. I was paying his insurance up until 6 months ago. My car is beaten up now additionally and this is the second car that he has maligned that I have repaired from my pocket. He has moved from his brother's apartment abruptly and his brother is upset because it is without notice. He has borrowed over $400 from his sister and she doesn't not expect this money back and on top of it all, he has been fired from his job. He was fired from his previous job for theft. I have given up. I still love him and believe that he can be successful in the future and I tell him this, but refuse to support him anymore believing that my support is enabling his behavior. I do not know where the car is right now and he has been in trouble within the last 2 years with one felony conviction (from his previous job) that he was able to get adjudicated probation for so that his record will be clear once served within the next 12 months.

I know that if I report the car stolen, that he will be charged with auto theft and refuse to do that. The alternative is to pick up the car from the pound, once impounded, since he is driving without car insurance and the car is in my name.

Anyone have any advice on this? It sounds like I will do the above otherwise.

Thanks.What is the name of your state?

BelizeBreeze

Well, if you refuse to report the car stolen you have no options other than finding him and taking the car back.

So, the real question is when is someone going to hold this punk accountable?

CdwJava

greentek said:
I know that if I report the car stolen, that he will be charged with auto theft and refuse to do that. The alternative is to pick up the car from the pound, once impounded, since he is driving without car insurance and the car is in my name.
I doubt the police would even accept this as a stolen vehicle. Absent some contractual arrangement, if you have let him drive it for 2 years without condition of return, then they are likely going to see this as a civil matter. In fact, NCIC regulations would not allow them to enter the vehicle into the national system until a warrant has been issued for the arrest of the suspect as the vehicle has essentially been embezzled and not stolen.

As BB indicated, you can hold him accountable by speaking to the police and finding out what the options are, or you can find the car and bring it back yourself. Keep in mind that as long as your name is on the title of the car you adopt potential liability for any actions he takes with the car. If he wrecks, you can possibly get sued.

Your son has brought this on himself. It is time for everyone to quit justifying and enabling his behavior and let him suffer the consequences of his actions.

- Carl

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">