• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

1999 Parking Tickets Resurfacing

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Greg Gloyd

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? Colorado

In August of 1999, I sold a vehicle, but left the plates because the buyer was a friend. The new owner proceeded to get tickets for illegally parking in a handicapped zone. I received notice of these tickets in September 1999, and called the court. I explained the situation, and was told to write a letter detailing the circumstances and the tickets would be sent to the new owner. I did this and never received any other communication until November of 2011. Is there a statute of limitations on these items? I no longer have any backup, since it has been 12 years and I believed this matter was resolved.

Greg Gloyd

Statute of Limitations on Tickets

Since the sale was in 1999, I no longer have any paperwork. Is there a statute of limitations on these tickets?

New message to justalayman - there was no intent to "ignore" you - however, since you are so hostile, I suggest that you stop being a part of this forum. People are looking for help and since you seem to believe you are so much better and smarter, it is obviously a waste of your time. I will find answers to my questions elsewhere.

Last edited:

justalayman

Since the sale was in 1999, I no longer have any paperwork. Is there a statute of limitations on these tickets?
there are many questions to answer that could make a difference. You seemed to ignore mine so I won't repeat them or continue on with this thread other than to say: it depends on what happened with the tickets between 1999 and now. My questions were meant to invoke a dialogue attempting to figure that out. If you really want an answer, you will have to provide more information.

HighwayMan

Super Secret Senior Member
When you leave license plates on a car you no longer have control or ownership of this type of thing can be expected.

As mentioned, the statute of limitation does not mean anything here.

What did your friend have to say about the situation? I would guess he was not much of a friend.

Without the next owner taking responsibility I can't see any way you can avoid paying for the outstanding violations.

Greg Gloyd

Thank you highwayman

I thought that this might be the case. I find it strange that these tickets just now resurfaced when I lived at the address they were first sent to for another year, and then lived in subsequent residence for 9 years. I took what I believed were the necessary steps to have this resolved in 1999, and was quite surprised to see them surface again 12 years later.

HighwayMan

Super Secret Senior Member
The time frame involved would be an issue to take up with the issuing authority. Sometimes summonses/tickets/notices of violation fall through the cracks and surface years later.

Again, it will be very difficult to avoid paying for these yourself unless your "friend" steps up to the plate.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">