• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

2 Hour Parking signs distance of enforcement?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

spartypants17

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? Michigan

2 days ago, I received a parking ticket for parking on a street with a 2 hour time limit. However, I don't think the signage is appropriate, but I can't find a specific ordinance that details how parking signs are required to be displayed. I am in East Lansing, MI.

Some info: In a nutshell, there were two "2 Hour Parking" signs, not indicating direction, on one street, spaced 600 feet apart, with an intersection in-between that had no signs. All other signs in the area are spaced significantly closer together.

Specifically, I parked southbound on Beal St. 250 feet south (in front) of me was a "2 Hour Parking" sign facing me, just before an intersection (Beal St. and Elm St.). There was no sign posted at the intersection immediately north of (behind) me (Beal St. and Oak St.), but there was a "2 Hour Parking" sign posted at the previous intersection to Beal and Oak (at Beal St. and Grand River Ave.), 350 feet north of where I was parked.

I can't find any info on sign requirements in the municipal ordinances for the city of East Lansing, and am wondering how I was supposed to know that this constitutes a parking violation, and whether it's worth appealing the ticket. I'll post the only potentially relevant material below.

Sec. 44-92. - No stopping, standing, or parking zones. (2.36) The traffic engineer may determine and designate zones where stopping, standing, or parking is prohibited due to hazardous conditions which may exist, or where conditions do exist, which will cause undue delay to traffic. Such zones shall be designated by posting proper signs at such locations, and the distance between the signs shall not be more than 200 feet.

Sec. 44-93. - Tow-away zones. (2.36a) The traffic engineer may establish tow-away zones as follows: (a) At locations already designated as no stopping, no standing, or no parking zones. (b) On streets where the normal width of the roadway is reduced by a building or buildings or by a construction project. (c) At or adjacent to streets and locations where safety and traffic movement is affected by occurrence of a public event. (d) Such tow-away zones shall be designated by posting signs which read "Tow-Away Zone." Such signs shall be posted independently, in conjunction with another sign, or as an extra panel attached below the posted signs which prohibit stopping, standing or parking at the location. The distance between such posted signs shall not be more than 200 feet.

Sec. 44-94. - Current regulations. (2.59) All intersection stops and yield right-of-way requirements, regulations on stopping, standing, or parking; prima facie speed limits; one-way streets, roadways and alleys; crosswalks; restricted turns; through streets; play streets; angle parking zones; all-night parking meter zones and spaces; weight restrictions; no passing zones; traffic control devices heretofore established and effective on the effective date of this code, shall be deemed established hereunder and shall remain effective until rescinded or modified as herein provided.​

Zigner

Senior Member, Non-Attorney
What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? Michigan

2 days ago, I received a parking ticket for parking on a street with a 2 hour time limit. However, I don't think the signage is appropriate, but I can't find a specific ordinance that details how parking signs are required to be displayed. I am in East Lansing, MI.

Some info: In a nutshell, there were two "2 Hour Parking" signs, not indicating direction, on one street, spaced 600 feet apart, with an intersection in-between that had no signs. All other signs in the area are spaced significantly closer together.

Specifically, I parked southbound on Beal St. 250 feet south (in front) of me was a "2 Hour Parking" sign facing me, just before an intersection (Beal St. and Elm St.). There was no sign posted at the intersection immediately north of (behind) me (Beal St. and Oak St.), but there was a "2 Hour Parking" sign posted at the previous intersection to Beal and Oak (at Beal St. and Grand River Ave.), 350 feet north of where I was parked.

I can't find any info on sign requirements in the municipal ordinances for the city of East Lansing, and am wondering how I was supposed to know that this constitutes a parking violation, and whether it's worth appealing the ticket. I'll post the only potentially relevant material below.

Sec. 44-92. - No stopping, standing, or parking zones. (2.36) The traffic engineer may determine and designate zones where stopping, standing, or parking is prohibited due to hazardous conditions which may exist, or where conditions do exist, which will cause undue delay to traffic. Such zones shall be designated by posting proper signs at such locations, and the distance between the signs shall not be more than 200 feet.

Sec. 44-93. - Tow-away zones. (2.36a) The traffic engineer may establish tow-away zones as follows: (a) At locations already designated as no stopping, no standing, or no parking zones. (b) On streets where the normal width of the roadway is reduced by a building or buildings or by a construction project. (c) At or adjacent to streets and locations where safety and traffic movement is affected by occurrence of a public event. (d) Such tow-away zones shall be designated by posting signs which read "Tow-Away Zone." Such signs shall be posted independently, in conjunction with another sign, or as an extra panel attached below the posted signs which prohibit stopping, standing or parking at the location. The distance between such posted signs shall not be more than 200 feet.

Sec. 44-94. - Current regulations. (2.59) All intersection stops and yield right-of-way requirements, regulations on stopping, standing, or parking; prima facie speed limits; one-way streets, roadways and alleys; crosswalks; restricted turns; through streets; play streets; angle parking zones; all-night parking meter zones and spaces; weight restrictions; no passing zones; traffic control devices heretofore established and effective on the effective date of this code, shall be deemed established hereunder and shall remain effective until rescinded or modified as herein provided.​
North of where you parked (just south of the second driveway on the block) is a "No Parking Any Time - Tow Away Zone" sign. that applies until the end of the block. It seems to me that your ticket was appropriate.

ETA: In fact, it's very evident that s/b Beal, for quite some distance, is a no-parking zone.

AdoptADog

Unless I am seeing things upside down, southbound Beal St is all two hour parking for certain hours. Northbound is no parking.

Are you trying to say that since you parked south of the last two hour parking sign on the block it did not apply?

Zigner

Senior Member, Non-Attorney
Yep - I had my directions backward. In any case, the point is that the sign applies to the entire block or until a different sign is posted (whichever comes first)

AdoptADog

Yep - I had my directions backward. In any case, the point is that the sign applies to the entire block or until a different sign is posted (whichever comes first)
Agree, I am trying to find the reference, but am apparently lacking research skills this morning. Need another cup of coffee. Or watch another episode of "Parking Wars."

spartypants17

Update

Thank you all for your replies! I just looked at Google Earth - apparently there used to be a 2 hour parking sign very near to where I was parked. That sign is no longer there, but the Google Earth image has not been updated to reflect this. Had that sign been present, I would not have parked there for 2+ hours.

spartypants17

Also, I was indeed parked southbound, but because the sign that had been there was evidently removed, there were only two signs for the block - well south of where I was parked, and north of the intersection that I turned right onto Beal from. And I can't find any ordinances that dictate how the signs must be spaced.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">