• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

2 Non-moving violations (New York City)

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Lane

What is the name of your state? New York

The first ticket is for parking too close (3 feet) to a hydrant. There are no signs posted saying how far you need to be from the hydrant and there was also no yellow paint on the curb.

The second ticket was for not having a registration sticker displayed. My car has been registered for 6 months and I just kept forgetting to put the permanant registration sticker on. The temporary sticker I got from the dealer was displayed and had no expiration date marked on it.

I was also wondering if the person that issued the ticket needs to appear in court for non-moving violations.

Are either of these worth going to court for?

The Occultist

Firstly, I have never ever ever ever ever seen a sign that said how far from a fire hydrant you must be park. It is supposed to be common knowledge, and it is not different depending on what part of the state you're in; it is a state statute that demands you not be parking within, my guess for NY is, 15 feet of the fire hydrant. You will not get out of that.

The second citation has NOTHING to do with when you were registered; the citation is for not having the sticker displayed. You can amend that now and try going to court to explain that you are now in compliance, and the judge may show some leniency and perhaps reduce the fine, but there is no guaruntee of that.

You Are Guilty

Ditto. About the only hope is to request a settlement of the reggy ticket (25% off the fine). I'm pretty sure that hydrant tickets aren't eligble for one, but I guess it doesn't hurt to ask. Otherwise, you're on the hook for the full fines.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">