• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

22514 cvc

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

priapus

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? CA
Just recieved a ticket for parking within 15 feet of a fire hydrant that is in front of my house. (22514 cvc) I live on a residental street and the location on the ticket is wrong. On the ticket the location is across the street and three houses away, where there is not a fire hydrant. (I live at address 1200 and ticket shows 1207). Can I win if I fight it?
Thanks,

Zigner

Senior Member, Non-Attorney
What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? CA
Just recieved a ticket for parking within 15 feet of a fire hydrant that is in front of my house. (22514 cvc) I live on a residental street and the location on the ticket is wrong. On the ticket the location is across the street and three houses away, where there is not a fire hydrant. (I live at address 1200 and ticket shows 1207). Can I win if I fight it?
Thanks,
So, your entire defense is "I didn't park in front of a hydrant THERE"? Seriously...the "location" is a reference, because fire hydrants aren't assigned addresses.

CdwJava

You can try ... since I assume this is a parking ticket, your challenge will be heard by a panel or a hearing officer appointed by the agency involved. You should have at least one level of appeal beyond that if you lose, and then you will have the option to take it to court (bearing the brunt of the court costs should you lose in court).

You might have to pony up the money up front in order to get a hearing, but if all you have to lose is time, then it might be worth giving it a try. Take a picture of 1207 and the street in front showing no hydrant anywhere near it. Yes, you might prevail ... you might not. A lot might depend on what the officer wrote in his or her notes on the ticket. If the notes do not contain any more specific description of the location, or the officer is not asked for a statement prior to the hearing where he or she can clarify the matter, a hearing officer or panel might very well side with you. As my agency's hearing officer, if all I saw was a parking cite for 1207 Main St. and found that no hydrant existed for 50 feet on either side, I would likely dismiss it.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">