• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

$25 traffic "fix it" ticket balloons into a $619 one - any way to reduce it?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Kindzmarauli

$25 traffic "fix it" ticket balloons into a $619 one - any way to reduce it?

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? CA

Received a correctable $25 ticket on 4/7/12, "current address required on DL". Got that fixed on 4/11, and then... forgot about the ticket and wasn't checking the mail until just recently. Some personal issues. I know, should have known better.

The court date was 5/15/12, I missed that. Received a notice with an action date of 6/5, bail amount $619, due date 6/15. FTA and a 40509.5 hold on the license.

On the lasuperiorcourt.org, I have to choose one of the two options:
- pay the $619 bail
- request an arraignment court date

The advice I keep hearing (from CHP officers and on other forums) is to request a court date and beg the judge to reduce the fine. Does that sound right?
Another advice is to go to court and ask to lift the hold.

So that means, schedule a court date. My only question is, do I need to pay the bail now and if I do, will I still have an option to request a court date after that?

Thanks!

https://lh5.googleusercontent.com/-W7dtupjDFTI/T9q8LW8JuCI/AAAAAAABi5I/gPQXlobA0AU/s800/2012-06-14%20LASC%20Traffic%20Ticket%20options.jpg

Zigner

Senior Member, Non-Attorney
I would suggest that you request to see a judge and show up with the proof that this was fixed in a timely manner after receiving the citation. You might get lucky.

ETA: Ask the court how to handle the bail amount. Go in person.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">