• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

375.1 (I) - fail to use established ways (NY State park)

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

linecraig

I was at a NY state park (beach) and parked on the side walk to not obstruct traffic to load my vehicle. A police officer gave me a ticket for 375.1 (I) - fail to use established ways - drive onto sidewalk. The officer did not see my drive, I was outside the car. He did not ask me any questions, was yelling at me to get my license and registration. After he took 20 minutes to write up the ticket, I asked him what is the issue and why is he taking so long he said just plead not guilty and I see you in court. Can someone please assist as it appears I must appear in court for this. I don't believe he had the right to give me this violation and should have been a parking ticket at best. Can someone help?

Antigone*

I was at a NY state park (beach) and parked on the side walk to not obstruct traffic to load my vehicle. A police officer gave me a ticket for 375.1 (I) - fail to use established ways - drive onto sidewalk. The officer did not see my drive, I was outside the car. He did not ask me any questions, was yelling at me to get my license and registration. After he took 20 minutes to write up the ticket, I asked him what is the issue and why is he taking so long he said just plead not guilty and I see you in court. Can someone please assist as it appears I must appear in court for this. I don't believe he had the right to give me this violation and should have been a parking ticket at best. Can someone help?
Of course the officer had the right to give you the ticket. Do as he stated, appear in court and present your defense to the guy in the black robe.

HighwayMan

Super Secret Senior Member
...parked on the side walk to not obstruct traffic to load my vehicle.
Well, THAT was a mistake. I'm sure there were better places to park than either the roadway or the sidewalk. What happened to a parking lot? :rolleyes:

The officer did not see my drive, I was outside the car.
He doesn't have to see you drive. Was anyone else with the car? Maybe someone told him they saw you drive onto the sidewalk - maybe someone complained to the police, people tend to do that from time to time. I'm sure you can use the "Mr. Scott beamed my car down from the starship Enterprise" excuse to explain how your car got onto the sidewalk.

After he took 20 minutes to write up the ticket...
I'm sure that is an exaggeration. That's the first complaint people make when they think they should not be getting a ticket. It's irrelevant anyway even if it was 20 minutes.

Can someone please assist as it appears I must appear in court for this.
Who said that? It's a traffic infraction - you can mail it in.

I don't believe he had the right to give me this violation and should have been a parking ticket at best.
He had every right. Yes, "at best" it would be a parking ticket, but at worst it's a traffic infraction. You got the worst.

HighwayMan

Super Secret Senior Member
...should have been a parking ticket at best. Can someone help?
By the way, depending on where this was the officer may not have been able to give you a parking ticket. There are no parking violations listed under 9 NYCRR (New York State Parks Rules and Regulations) and chances are local town/village ordinances for parking can't be enforced in a state park.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">