• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

39:3-29c Failure to exhibit

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

jma.andersen

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? New jersey

I was stopped for speeding however I couldn't place my insurance card in my mess of a glove compartment so instead I only got a ticket for failure to exhibit. I understand if I have pay fines but I am unsure how to deal with the court. I had one friend tell me to plea not guilty and another to plea guilty. In both scenarios I will present my insurance card so that the judge knows I am not driving un-insured. Any advice on how to deal with this when the time comes to stand in front of the judge?

You Are Guilty

I was stopped for speeding however I couldn't place my insurance card in my mess of a glove compartment so instead I only got a ticket for failure to exhibit. I understand if I have pay fines but I am unsure how to deal with the court. I had one friend tell me to plea not guilty and another to plea guilty. In both scenarios I will present my insurance card so that the judge knows I am not driving un-insured. Any advice on how to deal with this when the time comes to stand in front of the judge?
Not guilty. Show the card and explain to the judge that you had it with you at the time, but it was buried in a messy glovebox and the officer was unwilling to wait forever while you cleaned it out. You will probably still get hit with a (reduced) fine and possibly court costs, but might get lucky and get off completely scott-free.

Good luck.

sandyclaus

Any person violating this section shall be subject to a fine of $150, of which $25 shall be deposited in the Uninsured Motorist Prevention Fund established by section 2 of P.L.1983, c.141 (C.39:6B-3).

If a person charged with a violation of this section can exhibit his driver's license, insurance identification card and registration certificate, which were valid on the day he was charged, to the judge of the municipal court before whom he is summoned to answer to the charge, such judge may dismiss the charge. However, the judge may impose court costs.

And next time, be sure to put your insurance card where it is easily accessible. Some people find it helpful to have a document holder clipped to their sun visor.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">