• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

4 months later NJ is saying my license was suspended

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

AAANJ

I am an NJ Driver.
I was in a fender bender back in June 2014. Officer came to the scene, took all of our information (DL, Insurance card, Reg), filled out report and since cars were drive-able, sent us on our ways.
Today, (10/27/2014) I received a notice in the mail dated 9/16/2014 that my license was going to be suspended on 10/11/2014 for 180 days for driving while suspended.
Firstly, the officer took all my credentials and ran them in June, that's how the DMV knew I was driving. & My license was NOT suspended at the time, otherwise the officer would have taken that and towed my car. There was no ticket issued, no mention, absolutely nothing indicating there was an issue with my license.
Secondly, I got this notice almost 1.5 months after it was dated, so I am way outside the dispute window. Apparently, my license has been suspended for 2 weeks and I had no idea.
Thirdly, how can the DMV decide 4 months later to tell me there is an issue?

The DMV is saying my license was suspended for non-payment of a surcharge. It clearly says on the back of the letter that the restoration fee was paid on 4/2 online. The accident was on 6/10.

What can I do??

Thank you for any advice!!

HighwayMan

Super Secret Senior Member
You have NO idea whether the officer "ran" your license and registration at the scene. That is a pretty big assumption.

Your accident has nothing to do with this apparently. If you paid your fine then you should show proof to the DMV and be guided by them about what you need to do to get the suspension lifted.

Paying the suspension termination fee means nothing unless you paid the surcharge that you originally owed.

There are a lot of holes in your story which you have not filled in. Sounds like you need to go to DMV in person to find out what's going on.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">