• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

4 violations but was issued duplicate tickets

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

seekinglegal04

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? NJ Randolph Municipal court

4 voilations where 1 is duplicate. The officer issued me ticket under 39:3-10 (unlicensed driver) that is applicable for NJ residents and also 39:3-17 that is applicable for non-residents. I cannot be both and one of the charge becomes invalid. In addition I posssesed a valid foreign driver's license and has an expired examination permit. Other two voilations are for not producing insurance( I produced the insurance document but was searching for it for 10 mins in my glove box and no displaying number plate in the front. I drive a car sponsored by employer and is leased to my employer. I am not the driver of the car. Please suggest * is it worth to hire a lawyer as total is below 400$ * if a lawyer is hire, what is the most probably outcome. The court appearance is on 23rd Apr'14. Meanwhile I obtained my NJ license a day after the ticket was issued. Will this help in court.
Please suggest best and worst possibilities if I hire a lawyer or represent myself without a lawyer

HighwayMan

Super Secret Senior Member
The officer charged you with both knowing that one will be tossed. Apparently there was some question about your status.

If you live in NJ your foreign license is not valid to operate a motor vehicle. It's valid only if you are a tourist. The insurance ticket sounds like it would be dismissed if you explain the circumstances. If you are driving a car, especially someone else's car, you need to know where the necessary documents are BEFORE you hit the road. I give people some leeway looking for insurance cards, but I will not stand there for more than five minutes waiting for them to find one.

As far as the front plate goes, where was it? If it's not your car then maybe you can get the owner to pay that ticket, however keep in mind that you were driving and are responsible for the ticket.

No one here can tell you if it is worthwhile to hire an attorney. Seek out a few that perhaps will give you a free consultation and find out that way.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">