• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

4461c violation

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

deets

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? california

I went to a major college hospital with the placard on my car and dropped off my mother near the hospital on the campus and then went to campus security which is also the sherrif - the campus parking security are deputized sheriffs - anyway I asked them the location of a building on the otherside of campus and where can i park. Two of them spent some time with me when i was in the car talking to me and giving me directions and they also said that i could park in this handicap space on the otherside of campus. I drive there and park. When i am leaving another parking sheriff from the same department stops me and says you are not handicapped and i said that is right - my mother is and I am going to pick her up. They said i am not in the vicinity of the hospital and issue me a citation which is a misdemeanor offense. I was upset and said this is not fair - I talked to your other colleagues and they told me to park in the handicap space- the officers answers - well they probably thought you were the one who was handicap.

Now I have to go to court and face a criminal charge and it will ruin me- i have never done anything criminal in my life. I spent $5000 to hire a good criminal lawyer - dont really know what else to do -

I went the next day and told the sargeant at the station what happened and that i would never of parked in the handicapped space had not his officers instructed me to park there. He said i had to let the process run its course but appeared apologetic - this is so stressful and i really dont understand how this could of happened to me

anyway am awaiting what the DA will say and whether he will plea it down - i cannot plead guilty or no contest as I cannot have a criminal record - it will ruin my career
thanks

FlyingRon

You broke the law. You appear to have an attorney. Let him handle it. He will likely know the best way to approach the prosecutor or court on the matter.

Zigner

Senior Member, Non-Attorney
The police assumed that the disabled placard was YOURS. Since you knew it was not, you knew you couldn't park in the disabled spot.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">