• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

60+ Days Expired Inspection (TX)

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Thisbetom

What is the name of your state? Texas

[Long post... Summary at end if feeling lazy]

My inspection sticker expired in Sept 06. Shortly after it expired, I was in an accident (other person's fault) that damaged the alignment of my car. I held off getting my car inspected until I could get the insurance check and fix the damages. The insurance company dragged the process out and I finally got the check in January.

Long story short I got a ticket in February for 60+ day expired inspection. I told the cop as he was writing the citation that I was planning on getting it fixed after I dropped my car off in the shop that weekend (my reasoning for holding off was that I needed new tires to pass inspection and I didn't want to get new tires until I could get the alignment fixed.)

I got new tires and the car inspected within 3 days after the ticket was issued and then took the car into the shop.

The county where the ticket was issued has a "full fine due if 60+ days expired clause" similar to the one found here. (I don't have the actual document as I sent it in w/ the plea)
http://www.hcv.org/Court/Ticket handout.doc (Summary Below)

BEGIN
Dismissal Options
$10 Expired Driver's License, if renewed within 10 working days
$10 Expired Inspection Sticker (expired less than 60 days), if inspection
done within 10 working days
$10 Expired License Plates (Registration (if penalty paid upon renewal), if renewed within 10 working days
These three tickets may be dismissed ONLY with proof (receipt with vehicle and date stated on it) of renewal within 10 working days of violation AND payment of $10.00 dismissal fee for EACH violation.
END

However, I looked at the county website and they don't have anything in relation to this clause in the fines section.
http://www.cityofkyle.com/court/fines.php

MY ACTIONS THUS FAR:
I am on a college budget and am trying to pay as little as possible. I was told to enter a plea of not guilty which I submitted within the time required for the ticket and have a pre-trial hearing date set for 4/9.

Where do I go from here?

(POST SUMMARY QUESTION: Is there a way to reduce the 60+ day "mandatory" fine for expired inspection 60+ days? See c below... how do I get there :cool: )

§ 548.605. DISMISSAL OF CHARGE; ADMINISTRATIVE FEE. (a)
In this section, "working day" means any day other than a Saturday,
a Sunday, or a holiday on which county offices are closed.
(b) The court shall:
(1) dismiss a charge of driving with an expired
inspection certificate if:
(A) the defendant remedies the defect within 10
working days; and
(B) the inspection certificate has not been
expired for more than 60 days; and
(2) assess an administrative fee not to exceed $10
when the charge of driving with an expired inspection certificate
has been remedied.
(c) Notwithstanding Subsection (b)(1)(B), the court may
dismiss a charge of driving with an expired inspection certificate
that has been expired for more than 60 days.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">