• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

72 hour parking law in California, exemption for disabled?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Dave1965

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? San Diego County, California
I'm retired and disabled, I rarely use my car more than once per week for a short trip to the store or doctor. I always park in front of my house, but it looks as though some of the neighbors are complaining about how long I park there. A lot of the neighbors have more cars than space to park in front of their own home, and park in front of my house also. I've never raised an issue about it with them, but when someone visits me they have to park in front of someone else's house, and they don't like someone using their spot even though it's a public street. The kicker is... The ones having an issue are both police officers. Is there an exemption for disabled persons parking longer than 72 hours if they display the disabled placard? I looked up the CA DMV rules but it only says no parking longer than 72 hours and it has to be moved 1/10th of a mile.

cbg

I'm a Northern Girl
Traffic and Parking law is not my area of expertise, but it would seem to me that if the law does not state that there is an exemption, that would mean there isn't one.

quincy

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? San Diego County, California
I'm retired and disabled, I rarely use my car more than once per week for a short trip to the store or doctor. I always park in front of my house, but it looks as though some of the neighbors are complaining about how long I park there. A lot of the neighbors have more cars than space to park in front of their own home, and park in front of my house also. I've never raised an issue about it with them, but when someone visits me they have to park in front of someone else's house, and they don't like someone using their spot even though it's a public street. The kicker is... The ones having an issue are both police officers. Is there an exemption for disabled persons parking longer than 72 hours if they display the disabled placard? I looked up the CA DMV rules but it only says no parking longer than 72 hours and it has to be moved 1/10th of a mile.
Thank you for starting your own thread, Dave1965.

Following are two links, the first to San Diego County's "Parking Basics 101," and the second to the San Diego County Sheriff's Department on "San Diego's Parking Enforcement."

http://www.sandiego.gov/economic-development/pdf/park101.pdf

https://www.sdsheriff.net/lesb_parking.html

From the first link it says: "If you have a disabled placard or license plate, you can park at green curbs or in time-limit zones with no time restrictions and at metered parking spaces for free and with no time restriction."

How this applies to your particular parking space in front of your home is something you can best determine by calling the Sheriff's Department or using the numbers provided in the first link.

tiggs2012

Easy solution, put a blue spot in front of your house. CA DMV will allow you to do it for 1 spot by your house. While another legally disabled person can still park in the spot but realistically, you'd probably be the only disabled person who would want to use it. It also makes the spot untouchable for the neighbors and less likely for them to bother over using it. Added benefit is you can give them a nice ticket or get them towed if they park there illegally. Having seen the effects on a very parked/crowded street next to apartments, I highly recommend it(and enforce its proper use too)

CdwJava

Easy solution, put a blue spot in front of your house. CA DMV will allow you to do it for 1 spot by your house.
Uh ... no ... the DMV has no authority to allow that and there is no provision under the law that permits someone from making their own personal handicapped parking space.

OHRoadwarrior

Disabled or not, you should stop parking in the street long term to allow others to park in your drive hoping to circumvent the law..

CdwJava

The disabled placard does not automatically grant an exception for city-wide parking time limits such as 120 or 72 hours. per VC 22511.5 it grants an exception to time limits for areas covered by signs posted pursuant to a local ordinance.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">