• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

$93 for improper use of seatbelt (under armpit)

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

jasonsw

What is the name of your state? California (L.A. County)

I have read number of threads addressing this issue; thank you to all those senior members including CourtClerk and Carl for sharing your experiences and advice! I got some questions though,

1. Is there lesser amount for person wearing seatbelt (though "improperly") AND first offense? Sorry, for silly question, but I am not working currently...

2. Is the amount the same for person not wearing seatbelt at all?

3. I wore the seatbelt under my armpit for 2 reasons. My injury and the fact that I saw the middle rear seat with 1 restraint over the abdominal area, leading me to believe that it may be OK to improvise due to my pain (2 scars on my shoulder; have not visited doctor). The question: Then, why is it OK for some vehicles to be equipped with abdominal restraint on middle rear seats? Couldn't my improper wear been excused since it closely resembles that of rear middle seat restraint?

I didn't know there were other drivers who wear seatbelt under armpit like I did. Wow.

Thank you all for reading this and your replies! Happy holidays all!

-------------------
Here's what happened at LAX.

As usual, I went to pick up my friend getting off work at LAX. Not seeing my friend, I called my friend to let her know that I was going to return to the spot.

As I pulled in from corner of Terminal 3 and Tom Bradley International Terminal (TBIT), I noticed a motorcycle officer sitting on his bike in front of TBIT. He pulled behind me, for no apparent reason other than cell phone usage (I didn't do anything to attract attention...).

Pulled me over at the corner of Terminal 4 and TBIT. He walked up toward my window and acknowledged me wearing seatbelt, but told me that he was giving me a ticket for not properly wearing seatbelt. I put the top part of the seatbelt under my armpit since I hurt myself during the move. (Got the 2 scars still there; I haven't visited doctor)

He began repeating like a broken record, "oh it's real cheap, around $35" three times. What do you know. I got a fine / bail amount and it's at $93.

I was wearing seatbelt. I improvised and wore it in a way to help alleviate the pain caused by moving heavy boxes... I thought this was something that could've gone with verbal warning, since I was wearing seatbelt... I think this is a bit different from someone not wearing seatbelt at all!

CourtClerk

What is the name of your state? California (L.A. County)

I have read number of threads addressing this issue; thank you to all those senior members including CourtClerk and Carl for sharing your experiences and advice! I got some questions though,

1. Is there lesser amount for person wearing seatbelt (though "improperly") AND first offense? Sorry, for silly question, but I am not working currently...
No, no discount for first time offenders...:) , however, be aware that a subsequent seatbelt ticket is going to cost you well into the $200 range.
2. Is the amount the same for person not wearing seatbelt at all?
Yes
3. I wore the seatbelt under my armpit for 2 reasons. My injury and the fact that I saw the middle rear seat with 1 restraint over the abdominal area, leading me to believe that it may be OK to improvise due to my pain (2 scars on my shoulder; have not visited doctor). The question: Then, why is it OK for some vehicles to be equipped with abdominal restraint on middle rear seats? Couldn't my improper wear been excused since it closely resembles that of rear middle seat restraint?
There was legislation some time ago (long time ago) that stated that vehicles made after a certain model year had to have both shoulder and lap restraints on driver and passenger sides. If you were driving from the middle of the back seat of the car, then maybe you'd have a shot...:) Don't have the info on hand as I no longer work in Traffic, however, maybe Carl has it handy, therefore no, I don't see it as a legal excuse for wearing your seatbelt improperly. Now, that's not to say that you can't go to arraignment (I presume at WLA court if you got the ticket at LAX) and see if the judge would be willing to cut the fine, but most likely they would tell you to take it to trial and work it out there. I've seen trial judges cut the fine for certain medical situations, but it's not a guarantee.

I didn't know there were other drivers who wear seatbelt under armpit like I did. Wow
Tons of them:)
Thank you all for reading this and your replies! Happy holidays all!

-------------------
Here's what happened at LAX.

As usual, I went to pick up my friend getting off work at LAX. Not seeing my friend, I called my friend to let her know that I was going to return to the spot.

As I pulled in from corner of Terminal 3 and Tom Bradley International Terminal (TBIT), I noticed a motorcycle officer sitting on his bike in front of TBIT. He pulled behind me, for no apparent reason other than cell phone usage (I didn't do anything to attract attention...).

Pulled me over at the corner of Terminal 4 and TBIT. He walked up toward my window and acknowledged me wearing seatbelt, but told me that he was giving me a ticket for not properly wearing seatbelt. I put the top part of the seatbelt under my armpit since I hurt myself during the move. (Got the 2 scars still there; I haven't visited doctor)

He began repeating like a broken record, "oh it's real cheap, around $35" three times. What do you know. I got a fine / bail amount and it's at $93.
The base fine for a seatbelt ticket is $20 and officers very rarely know what the fines add up to after all those taxes and assessments are added. In fact, after I've told a couple the look of amazement used to flow upon their faces. About the only thing they get right 100% of the time is that a fix it ticket is $10.
I was wearing seatbelt. I improvised and wore it in a way to help alleviate the pain caused by moving heavy boxes... I thought this was something that could've gone with verbal warning, since I was wearing seatbelt... I think this is a bit different from someone not wearing seatbelt at all!
They aren't in the business of giving warnings, but consider yourself warned, your next seatbelt ticket WILL give you sticker shock.

Oh... and this is not a moving violation so there is no point attached.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">