• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Abandoned car

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Henge

What is the name of your state? Pennslyvania

I live in Pittsburgh, PA. I have a car that I have parked in front of my house. I recently recieved a letter from the city that I have 7 days to have it removed off the street, because the inspection was past due. I needed a part and was going to wait till after Christmas to have it fixed. Well, when I recieved that I made arrangements to have the inspection done. The car is now completly legal. The city sent me another letter 2 days later than the first with a summons to court and a fine of well over 500$'s. If the original letter gave me 7 days, and I fixed the problem, how can they fine me 2 days later. It's not illegal to park on the street. It is also parked in front of my own house. If the car belongs to the owner of the house, how can it be considered abandoned? Is there any way to fight this without court. I don't have alot of money, and to take a day off work to go fight it is just the same. It costs me money. I guess I just don't understand how they can legally file a case, before the alloted time I was givin was up.

moburkes

What is the name of your state? Pennslyvania

I live in Pittsburgh, PA. I have a car that I have parked in front of my house. I recently recieved a letter from the city that I have 7 days to have it removed off the street, because the inspection was past due. I needed a part and was going to wait till after Christmas to have it fixed. Well, when I recieved that I made arrangements to have the inspection done. The car is now completly legal. The city sent me another letter 2 days later than the first with a summons to court and a fine of well over 500$'s. If the original letter gave me 7 days, and I fixed the problem, how can they fine me 2 days later. It's not illegal to park on the street. It is also parked in front of my own house. If the car belongs to the owner of the house, how can it be considered abandoned? Is there any way to fight this without court. I don't have alot of money, and to take a day off work to go fight it is just the same. It costs me money. I guess I just don't understand how they can legally file a case, before the alloted time I was givin was up.
What is the statute on the ticket?

It is illegal to have your vehicle parked on the street without the current inspection sticker. So, the ticket is a valid one.

Go to court and present your proof that the vehicle is now "legal". The 7 days just stopped the escalation process, but it did not change the fact that your vehicle was illegally parked.

fairisfair

even if it has legal tags, doesn't it need to be operable? I know that in my city if a vehicle is not moved within a certain period of time, it will be ticketed and marked for towing.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">