• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Abandoned vehicle

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? NY

Hello, not sure which section this belongs in, but I hope this is okay.. Quick question. Theres an abandoned BMW in my neighborhood that has been there for close to 2 months now, having parts takin off of it, with the doors unlocked. It has an out of state plate in the back, but Im not even sure if its valid, and no stickers on the windshield. Im most interested in the motor of that vehicle, but me removing it would obviously be a criminal act. Are there any NY laws out there that would allow someone who finds something like this, to be able to legally claim it? Its just a shame that its sitting right in front of me, and I cant do anything about it. I mean I can, but they will just confiscate it and thats the end of it. What baffles me most how it has not gotten one street cleaning ticket, nor has been towed. Very strange.. Let me know, thanks.

Eekamouse

You could call and report it to the police. It's obviously a stolen vehicle that's been abandoned. Just because it hasn't been recovered by the cops doesn't mean it could be claimed by whoever takes a fancy to it. I'm sure the person it was stolen from liked it, too. Since they're the one who paid for it, don't you think they should get it back? What a jerk you are for letting it sit there for so long.:eek:

You could call and report it to the police. It's obviously a stolen vehicle that's been abandoned. Just because it hasn't been recovered by the cops doesn't mean it could be claimed by whoever takes a fancy to it. I'm sure the person it was stolen from liked it, too. Since they're the one who paid for it, don't you think they should get it back? What a jerk you are for letting it sit there for so long.:eek:
You dont think the person got a nice check for it yet, and forgot all about it?

And Im the jerk? Hey Im not the only one who lives in that neighborhood, and up until a few days ago, I thought the owner was coming back, but it just seems like it's really abandoned.

Why is the thing not getting tickets though!?

Anyone else?

FlyingRon

Most likely the thing belongs to the insurance company who paid off the owner when it was stolen. The insurance company still has the rights to the most salvage they can get out of it.

Zigner

Senior Member, Non-Attorney
I'm sorry, but where did you find the "fact" that the owner of the vehicle has insurance for theft? I mean, sure, one may attempt to justify their criminal behavior by ASSuming it...but how does one know for sure? :rolleyes:

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">