• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Admin fee? if you're not guilty?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

billferr

New York, Nassau County

I received a no inspection ticket, because the parking maid did not see the sticker on the dash board. This batch of stickers had a batch of defective glue and many of them, dried out and fell off. I did place the sticker on the dash

I went to court and showed proof the car was inspected and the ticket was dismissed, but then they said I still had to pay a $15 administration fee, that’s what I refused and said, why should I pay a fee, or tax, or any type of charge if I was found not guilty?
I know it’s only $15 but what if they raise it to $50 or $100?
They can pull innocent people into court and make them pay money even if they did nothing?
This doesn’t sound like the America I was raised in
Any advice will be much appreciated; I’m taking this to trialWhat is the name of your state (only U.S. law)?What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)?What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)?What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)?

racer72

The America you live in is getting tired of paying taxes so people like you can use government services for free. Someone has to pay the wages of the court employees, judges, the electric bill, etc. and why should those that use those services pay a nominal fee for such services? Next time your local politicians want to raise taxes for the police and courts, I would expect you to be first in line with your wallet open.

billferr

Admin fee? if you're not

I think you're missing the point, or work for the court system

Nassau is the only county to charge this fee.
the people of Nassau county are among the highest taxed people in the world, so we pay plenty for the court's salaries. the point is, I can see the fee if you are guilty,
but if you were found not guilty of any law, you are being punished for no reason.

What is to stop some county to impose a high administration fee, lets say $500 and instruct the parking and police officers to start writing bogus tickets,
just to collect this fee?

if you can't see this then you're not smart enough to answer this question
Thank you

Last edited:

billferr

Admin fee? if you're not

here's a real simple example, what if you found a ticket in your mail box, for not mowing your lawn short enough, you go to court and show it was mowed short enough,
the judge dismisses the ticket but says, you still have a pay the administration fees
knowing you did nothing wrong, is that fair?

can you understand my point now???

Last edited:

You Are Guilty

I don't know if you can appeal a not guilty/dismissed finding, but that would be the first legal requirement before you could challenge the admin fee any further. After that, you'd need an Article 78 petition. The filing fees for that alone are slightly over $300.

Are you willing to spend $300+ for a $15 argument?

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">