• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

After getting a parking ticket, how long can I not move the car?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

ctny

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? New York

I was sitting in the car when I got a ticket for parking in the street during street cleaning period. Since I got fined already, can I just park my car now? If so, can I park the car for 1hr? The whole day? The whole week? At what point will I get another parking ticket if I don't move?

sandyclaus

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? New York

I was sitting in the car when I got a ticket for parking in the street during street cleaning period. Since I got fined already, can I just park my car now? If so, can I park the car for 1hr? The whole day? The whole week? At what point will I get another parking ticket if I don't move?
That's a pretty vague question. Here's an equally vague answer with more questions for you.

You can keep parking your car there until you can't.

Are there any other kind of parking restrictions where you would normally park the car (other than no parking during the specified street cleaning hours)?
Do you require any kind of residential parking permit?
Are there certain hours during which you can park there?
Do they allow for overnight parking, or is there any kind of restriction due to traffic requirements?

ctny

I didn't mean to be vague... but it answer sounds like I can park there until I run into another restriction?

For example, if it is open parking 9pm-9am everyday, except street cleaning at 6am-7am on Monday, this means I can park until 9am after the ticket on Monday 6am? Did I essentially pay for the 6am-7am slot?

sandyclaus

I didn't mean to be vague... but it answer sounds like I can park there until I run into another restriction?

For example, if it is open parking 9pm-9am everyday, except street cleaning at 6am-7am on Monday, this means I can park until 9am after the ticket on Monday 6am? Did I essentially pay for the 6am-7am slot?
What do you mean, did you "pay" for the 6am-7am slot?

Are there paid parking permits required, or is this metered parking? Is there signage that restrict the amount of time you can park there (i.e., 2 hour parking between such and such hours)?

If there is a requirement for you to pay for parking during the posted hours, then of course you have to pay for it. The fine isn't intended to cover your parking costs/fees, it's a penalty for parking where you weren't supposed to at a time when it was not allowed - and nothing more.

ctny

Let me see if I can be clearer...

For example, if it is free parking 9pm-9am everyday, except street cleaning at 6am-7am on Monday, and I get the ticket at 6am on Monday while sitting in the car, do I need to move my car right away, or I can just park till 9am (which is when the street becomes no parking again)?

sandyclaus

Let me see if I can be clearer...

For example, if it is free parking 9pm-9am everyday, except street cleaning at 6am-7am on Monday, and I get the ticket at 6am on Monday while sitting in the car, do I need to move my car right away, or I can just park till 9am (which is when the street becomes no parking again)?
Are you trying to ask if you can get more than one parking violation ticket for the 6am-7am period during which street cleaning is scheduled on Mondays?

From everything I have found, apparently you can - since there is no specific law prohibiting it, they could feasibly write out several tickets against you during that one hour you are illegally parked. Of course, most traffic officers aren't going to spend their entire hour returning to just one car to ticket it again, and again, and again. But I have not found any law that prohibits doing it, so if you were foolish enough to remain parked there, and an officer really wanted to do it, they certainly could cite you more than once.

But that also begs the question, if you are already sitting in your car and have received a valid ticket for parking there when you know you're not supposed to, why don't you just move the vehicle to prevent getting another one?

HighwayMan

Super Secret Senior Member
When it comes to parking tickets in New York you need to specify if it's New York City. It sounds like it is, based on your post, so unless you tell us otherwise I'm basing my comments on that.

The Parking Violations Bureau will accept multiple notices of violation issued to one vehicle at the same location for the same offense every 20 minutes. That means if a traffic agent or police officer wishes to they can issue you a parking notice of violation every 20 minutes and they will NOT be dismissed by the PVB. I have seen this happen many times when doing bus lane enforcement in Manhattan.

In addition, New York City is a designated tow away zone. Your vehicle may be towed and impounded for ANY parking infraction anywhere in the city. As long as it is served with a violation it can be legally towed.

I know if it was me who kept issuing you violations and got no response from you I'd probably take the extra step and impound your car, but multiple violations are not required for a tow - only one.

sandyclaus

When it comes to parking tickets in New York you need to specify if it's New York City. It sounds like it is, based on your post, so unless you tell us otherwise I'm basing my comments on that.

The Parking Violations Bureau will accept multiple notices of violation issued to one vehicle at the same location for the same offense every 20 minutes. That means if a traffic agent or police officer wishes to they can issue you a parking notice of violation every 20 minutes and they will NOT be dismissed by the PVB. I have seen this happen many times when doing bus lane enforcement in Manhattan.

In addition, New York City is a designated tow away zone. Your vehicle may be towed and impounded for ANY parking infraction anywhere in the city. As long as it is served with a violation it can be legally towed.

I know if it was me who kept issuing you violations and got no response from you I'd probably take the extra step and impound your car, but multiple violations are not required for a tow - only one.
Hey, HighwayMan... is there a regulation or statute that gives the 20 minute reference somewhere? Or is that just an internal policy or official procedure? Just trying to figure out where you got that timeframe as a reference... Thanks.

HighwayMan

Super Secret Senior Member
Hey, HighwayMan... is there a regulation or statute that gives the 20 minute reference somewhere? Or is that just an internal policy or official procedure? Just trying to figure out where you got that timeframe as a reference... Thanks.
No statute specifies this. Some years ago when I was sent for training for the then-new NYC parking tickets we were told this by the people doing the training from the Department of Finance. This may be enumerated somewhere in the DoF or PVB regulations but it's not something I feel like researching right now. ;)

sandyclaus

No statute specifies this. Some years ago when I was sent for training for the then-new NYC parking tickets we were told this by the people doing the training from the Department of Finance. This may be enumerated somewhere in the DoF or PVB regulations but it's not something I feel like researching right now. ;)
If and when you have the time, I'd appreciate it. No rush. Just curiosity for me, and no wonder I couldn't find it myself!

BL

I think CTNY is pulling a leg too.The whole day,the week ,etc. ?

And already stated the hrs. allowed.

I have seen in my City with parking limit minutes or hrs. where white chalk was put on the tire to see if the vehicle had been moved with the vehicle having numerous tickets and not being moved . I say they can check around every 15 minutes, so I don't see much difference within street sweeping times.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">