• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Alleged Parking Ticket

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

MacRaider4

What is the name of your state? The state the incident was in is CT.
I received a letter from a collection agency for a ticket dated 8/99 in New Haven, CT.
This is the first I have heard of such a ticket and I know for a fact that I have never driven to New Haven. I have not had problems re-registering my vehicle.
I also placed a call to my employer who checked the records that showed I had not missed any work that week. ( New Haven is 42 miles from my job)

What can I do to resolve this for I honestly believe they have made a clerical error? Am I within my legal right to request a copy of the orginal ticket? and what if they can NOT produce said item. I have made many calls to the agency regarding this, they however have not choosen to return any of my calls.

Thank yoiu for your time.

mykoleary

Don't call, write. Tel them the debt is invalid and why giving proof. They then have to prove the debt valid to be able to collect it.

efflandt

Mistakes in plate numbers or state of registration are not uncommon (judging from posts here and my own experience). City of Chicago sent me a notice for an unpaid parking ticket on a day when my records showed I was in Ohio. I told them that and requested a description of the vehicle and never heard from them again.

If you never heard from the city and it has gone to collections, the collection agency might just be fishing to try to get money from anyone with a similar name as the alledged registration. When I was in college, someone came knocking on my friends door looking for someone of the same name passing bad checks, but different middle initial.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">