• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Allowable Parking for Handicap Placards

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

free4all

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? Texas

I am confused. If a person has my vehicle listed on record as one authorized to transport them to wherever needed, due to them being handicapped & they did receive a placard for me to use in my vehicle, am I still allowed to park in designated handicapped parking areas even if the person is not present with me? [TX TRANS CODE Sec. 681.006(1)(B)] I've been told I can & have been told I cannot. How do I interpret what the statute says?

Zigner

Senior Member, Non-Attorney
What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? Texas

I am confused. If a person has my vehicle listed on record as one authorized to transport them to wherever needed, due to them being handicapped & they did receive a placard for me to use in my vehicle, am I still allowed to park in designated handicapped parking areas even if the person is not present with me? [TX TRANS CODE Sec. 681.006(1)(B)] I've been told I can & have been told I cannot. How do I interpret what the statute says?
You must be transporting the person...you can run on down to the local market all by yourself and use the placard to park in a handicap spot.

Honestly, I'm not even sure why you're confused:

§ 681.006. PARKING PRIVILEGES: PERSONS WITH
DISABILITIES. (a) Subject to Section 681.009(e), a vehicle may be
parked for an unlimited period in a parking space or area that is
designated specifically for persons with physical disabilities if:
(1) the vehicle is being operated by or for the
transportation of a person with a disability; and

(2) there are:
(A) displayed on the vehicle special license
plates issued under Section 504.201; or
(B) placed on the rearview mirror of the
vehicle's front windshield a disabled parking placard.
(b) The owner of a vehicle is exempt from the payment of a
fee or penalty imposed by a governmental unit for parking at a meter
if:
(1) the vehicle is being operated by or for the
transportation of a person with a disability; and

(2) there are:
(A) displayed on the vehicle special license
plates issued under Section 504.201; or
(B) placed on the rearview mirror of the
vehicle's front windshield a disabled parking placard.

free4all

Well the confusing part is this: at my place of employment (County Govt Offices) employees park in the rear of the building; I had been informed by other individuals who possess a handicap placard, that they are allowed to park up close to the building and stated to me that I could do the same. There is only one spot that is painted red for handicapped parking, but all others next to this space is where we park. Now myself and the other individuals have been parking in these spaces for the last 6 mos., however now, I've been singled out to move my car or I will be investigated and charges brought against me for using the placard illegally. None of the other individuals have been asked to move their vehicles just me. This is why I'm confused. Is this making any sense to you? Or should I just move the car and let somebody pat themselves on the back for being essentially, a busybody?

free4all

Well..I see your point.:D I guess I will move my car, but keep some records of those who continue to "park" where I cannot. Personally I don't have time for this foolishness, but obviously someone else does. Smells an awful lot like harrassment & discrimination, but maybe I'm blowing this out of proportion.

free4all

Yep. I know they're taking advantage of this, but what can I do? They're on my case & not everyone else.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">