• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Allowing unlicensed Driver to operate

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

effiebyrd

New Jersey - I allowed someone to borrow my truck. they got stopped and was ticketed for driving while suspended. A week later after they received that ticket I got a ticket in the mail accusing me of allowing an unlicensed driver to operate my vehicle. I went to court and they told me I had to pay a fine of $200. I tried to explain that the person had a license in their possession and I had no idea that it was suspended. They told me that I am suppose to check and make sure a persons license is valid before I allow them to drive. I thought it was unfair because I don't have access to the Motor Vehicle Database and feel I should not have to pay being They showed me a license. I tried to obtain a lawyer, but the fee to retain them is more than the ticket. I have to go back because I pleaded Not Guilty. The judge said if I don't have a lawyer I have to represent myself. How can I fight this? I don't know what to do and cant afford $200 dollars for a ticket.What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)?

Isis1

New Jersey - I allowed someone to borrow my truck. they got stopped and was ticketed for driving while suspended. A week later after they received that ticket I got a ticket in the mail accusing me of allowing an unlicensed driver to operate my vehicle. I went to court and they told me I had to pay a fine of $200. I tried to explain that the person had a license in their possession and I had no idea that it was suspended. They told me that I am suppose to check and make sure a persons license is valid before I allow them to drive. I thought it was unfair because I don't have access to the Motor Vehicle Database and feel I should not have to pay being They showed me a license. I tried to obtain a lawyer, but the fee to retain them is more than the ticket. I have to go back because I pleaded Not Guilty. The judge said if I don't have a lawyer I have to represent myself. How can I fight this? I don't know what to do and cant afford $200 dollars for a ticket.What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)?
owning and operating a vehicle is a priviledge, not a right. you are responsible for knowing the legal status of anyone and everyone who you loan that vehicle to.

that was one expensive lesson, huh?

effiebyrd

I'm confused. How am I suppose to know information such as a suspension? When your suspended usually they take your license from you in court. So if someone produces a license with a valid exp. date how can I find that out? There is no way to fight it? This is heart breaking.

Isis1

I'm confused. How am I suppose to know information such as a suspension? When your suspended usually they take your license from you in court. So if someone produces a license with a valid exp. date how can I find that out? There is no way to fight it? This is heart breaking.
not true. i had a suspended license due to non-payment of a traffic ticket. my license was not confiscated.

look, don't loan your car out. or request a dated DMV printout from the person borrowing your car.

HighwayMan

Super Secret Senior Member
"I had no way of knowing" is not a defense for this offense. You really have no chance of winning this - I wouldn't waste time trying to craft a defense.

I would never lend my car to anyone. I'd rather drive them to their appointment or errand. Or let them rent a car.

It sucks but that's reality.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">