• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Alternate Side Parking Ticket

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Craig831

What is the name of your state? Wisconsin

Hi. I live in Milwaukee, WI. My wife has gotten a parking ticket in front of my house on each of the last two nights (August 21st and 22nd).

On the first night, my brother left for work at 4:15 AM and moved her SUV from behind his car to the front of my house. It was then ticketed at 5:56 AM. I have an even numbered address so, if her car had been parked on the street all night, it was supposed to have been on the other side of the street, not directly in front of my house, but like I said, my brother didn't put it there until 4:15 AM, when he left for work. Milwaukee, as I've been told, has alternate side street parking all year round from 2:00 AM until 6:00 AM.

On the second night, in order to avoid having my brother move her SUV again, my wife parked directly in front of my house. Since the date before midnight controls the side of the street we are supposed to park on, and it was the 22nd of August, she parked on the correct side, according to the statute. She received another ticket, though, at 3:55 AM and the remarks on the ticket say "No Permit". I know of no statute in Milwaukee that requires a permit to street park.

Now for the interesting part. I live on a "place", not a "street". There is a 52nd Street in Milwaukee and a 52nd Place. The truck, on both nights, was parked on 52nd Place. On both tickets, though, the address is given as 52nd "Street".

Will the "street"/"place" technicality allow me to get these tickets thrown out? If not, do I have any way to get out of one or both of them? Should I fight them or is it worthless to do so?

Thanks for any information I get.

Craig831

Thanks for your help, Curt. I think I'm going to contest both of them and hope we can reach a comprimise that I only have to pay for one of them.

Zigner

Senior Member, Non-Attorney
Craig831 said:
Thanks for your help, Curt. I think I'm going to contest both of them and hope we can reach a comprimise that I only have to pay for one of them.
It can't hurt to try, I suppose.
But, think about it. For two nights in a row the vehicle was parked WITHOUT A PERMIT between 2 am and 6 am and received tickets. You *MIGHT* receive a bit more sympathy if you had been out of town or something along those lines...but there would be no guarantee of it.

efflandt

I grew up in Milwaukee and I always thought the rule was 2 hr parking from 2-6 AM even-odd based on the date when it got dark. But it looks like it is now 1 hr, only if a business is open nearby.

The even-odd is for street sweeping, snow plowing, and to flag abandoned vehicles.

Normally if you are going to park overnight occasionally, you can simply call the local police department the night before. But if you make a habit of it, you need to buy a permit. For details see http://www.mpw.net/Pages/pregulations.html and http://www.mpw.net/Pages/ppermits.html

PS: Some people confused the address on 97th Place with our same address on 98th St. if they were counting blocks and not looking at all signs.

Last edited:

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">