• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Alternate Side Parking Violation

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

kl323

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? NYC

With the snow this past weekend, alternate side rules were suspended while the other rules remain in effect. I parked in this spot with a sign that said no parking Mon - Fri 8AM - 6PM thinking that it was alternate side. Since calling 311, they clarified that there is a big difference on the sign. The alternate side signs are distinguished by the presence of a broom.. Anyway.. my main question is... can I still plea bargain this ticket? I can understand that "not knowing" isn't really any much of a defense. But does NYC still do some sort of plea bargaining for parking tickets? I did some googling and it says its been discontinued. Just want to double check.

THanks!

You Are Guilty

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? NYC

With the snow this past weekend, alternate side rules were suspended while the other rules remain in effect. I parked in this spot with a sign that said no parking Mon - Fri 8AM - 6PM thinking that it was alternate side. Since calling 311, they clarified that there is a big difference on the sign. The alternate side signs are distinguished by the presence of a broom.. Anyway.. my main question is... can I still plea bargain this ticket? I can understand that "not knowing" isn't really any much of a defense. But does NYC still do some sort of plea bargaining for parking tickets? I did some googling and it says its been discontinued. Just want to double check.

THanks!
Yeah, that program has been canceled for a while. You still might be "lucky" though - is all the information on the ticket correct? Dates, locations, times, description of car, full date of registration expiration, etc? Certain incorrect info may warrant the ticket being dismissed. (If it's all correct, might as well just pay the $115.)

kl323

thanks for the speedy reply!

yeah, the ticket is right. i doubt they would make a mistake since it's not handwritten. they have a PDA device that they scan my registration with and it gets everything.

anyway, the ticket is $60. not sure if I wanna waste my time with appealing. But I also wanna get this out of my mind and not worry about it. Lesson learned.

HighwayMan

Super Secret Senior Member
anyway, the ticket is $60. not sure if I wanna waste my time with appealing. But I also wanna get this out of my mind and not worry about it. Lesson learned.
And your point is?

It's a parking ticket for pete's sake. Either pay it or take your chances at a hearing. You can have a hearing online, in person, or by mail.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">