• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Any chance fighting parking ticket "abandonment of vehicle"?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

lisong

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? NJ

I parked my car on a residential street and it was cover by snow after a heavy snow storm. I was a little too lazy to clean it up immediately. Three days after the storm when I was digging my car out of snow I noticed there was a parking ticket, the reason is "Abandonment of Mv Subsequent Offence (public Hwy)", and court appearance is required.

I never thought this could be so serious that even my license can be suspended under this charge. I understand that parking at the same spot of public area over 48 hours is considered "abandonment" in New Jersey. However due to the heavy snow it was quite difficult to move my car. I was just wondering is there a good chance that I can bargain a minimal penalty during the court session?

Thank in advance for any insight and advice!What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)?What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)?

FlyingRon

You might get some traction in court over the snow issue.
You're license isn't going to be suspended unless you blow off your court appearance. Others who've run afoul of that have managed to plea it down to a parking infraction in some NJ courts.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">