• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Any Way or Recourse to fight forgotten Handicap Placard ticket and tow?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

LisaDH

What is the name of your state? I am from California

My husband and I assisting my folks who have challenges and need a handicap placard .
At my brother's condo complex. I dropped them off (normally they walk from HC stall) and parked car in nearby handicap slot Sunday late afternoon. Had melting ice cream and grocery-dashed out forgot placard. Because of my mom having more than normal health challenges and difficulty using my brothers stairs we didn't leave the condo until Sunday dinner. Car was gone :eek: HOA called and must have placed warning-never saw until picked up car from tow co. . Had to go to pickup car and pay $260 .
ANY HOPE TO FIGHT ? :confused::mad: Any advise ?
Thank you soooo much !!!
Sincerely,
Lisa

Zigner

Senior Member, Non-Attorney
Fight what?
You parked in a Handicapped spot without displaying a valid placard. If you had been ticketed for it, you might be able to do something about that, but you don't mention a ticket in the body of your post.

Betty

Fight what?
You parked in a Handicapped spot without displaying a valid placard. If you had been ticketed for it, you might be able to do something about that, but you don't mention a ticket in the body of your post.
She does mention in her subject of thread: Any way or recourse to fight forgotten handicap placard ticket and tow.

LisaDH

Does an HOA reap benefit of the high cost of the tow?

First thank you for the responses ! Since this was my only experience with this I didn't know if the HOA gets a portion of the tow and if that side could be fought ?!
Thank you for your response! Lisa

Zigner

She does mention in her subject of thread: Any way or recourse to fight forgotten handicap placard ticket and tow.
Yes - you said the same thing I did. The fact is, though, that OP did NOT mention a ticket in the BODY of the original post. I am not sure that a ticket was received. Tickets are generally placed ON the vehicle.
OP - please clarify - did you actually RECEIVE a ticket? Or are you just concerned that you may receive a ticket?

LisaDH

No Citation yet ?!

No, no citation was on the car just a warning on the rear windshield from the HOA.
Is it possible for the HOA to request a ticktet be issued for the forgotten placard?
Do we have any right or recourse to get any of the $260 back ?
Does that entire amount go to the towing company ?
If any goes to the HOA can we at least get that portion refunded ?
I appreciate you advice !! thank you, Lisa

Zigner

No, no citation was on the car just a warning on the rear windshield from the HOA.
Is it possible for the HOA to request a ticktet be issued for the forgotten placard?
Do we have any right or recourse to get any of the $260 back ?
Does that entire amount go to the towing company ?
If any goes to the HOA can we at least get that portion refunded ?
I appreciate you advice !! thank you, Lisa
You have no right to get the $260 back. However, I wouldn't be too worried about getting a ticket at a later point either.

Betty

Yes - you said the same thing I did. The fact is, though, that OP did NOT mention a ticket in the BODY of the original post. I am not sure that a ticket was received. Tickets are generally placed ON the vehicle.
OP - please clarify - did you actually RECEIVE a ticket? Or are you just concerned that you may receive a ticket?
Zigner - I hear you now & you were right - no ticket. She should be glad she didn't get a ticket to pay besides the $260.00 which she won't get back.

LisaDH

Thank you for your help

Zigner,
Thanks for your advice. It seemed possible that it you showed you had the placard it would possibly be reduced vs. not having anything. Expensive lesson learned !!
Lisa

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">