• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Attempt to collect on a 14 year old ticket

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Grumpy

What is the name of your state? California
Recently my daughter-in-law received a "Balance Due Statement" from a collection agency based in Texas for a ticket that was supposedly issued in Ventura, California in 1993. She knows she did not receive a moving violation ticket there in 1993 and she was never notified of any non-moving violation. So far no one has offered any proof that a ticket was ever issued. The letter that came with this statement implied that her driver's license could be suspended if she does not pay up promptly. Is this a real possibility?
Thanks for you help,
Grumpy

AlanShore

What is the name of your state? California
Recently my daughter-in-law received a "Balance Due Statement" from a collection agency based in Texas for a ticket that was supposedly issued in Ventura, California in 1993. She knows she did not receive a moving violation ticket there in 1993 and she was never notified of any non-moving violation. So far no one has offered any proof that a ticket was ever issued. The letter that came with this statement implied that her driver's license could be suspended if she does not pay up promptly. Is this a real possibility?
Thanks for you help,
Grumpy
Call the court from which the ticket was claimed to be issued.

You should obtain a copy of your credit report as it seems to me based on your story that there is a good possibility that this fine is on your credit report.

If it is, dispute it. However, this will have no effect on whether you actually owe the money or not.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">