• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Being singled out!

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

mbv343

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? Utah

I got pulled over late last night - around 4 am. The cop told me that he pulled me over because he ran my plate and it came back as having no insuance. Of course I could not find my card so I did get a ticket for not having proof. I checked when I got home and my insurance is current. I feel I'm being singled out because I have a custom paint job on my Chrysler 300 and I have been pulled over 3 times since we move here in June 2011. Does the cop have probable cause to pull me over? Can they tell if I have insurance by running my plate? Am I being singled out for getting off work that late/early and having a nice custom painted car?

Zigner

Senior Member, Non-Attorney
What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? Utah

I got pulled over late last night - around 4 am. The cop told me that he pulled me over because he ran my plate and it came back as having no insuance. Of course I could not find my card so I did get a ticket for not having proof. I checked when I got home and my insurance is current. I feel I'm being singled out because I have a custom paint job on my Chrysler 300 and I have been pulled over 3 times since we move here in June 2011. Does the cop have probable cause to pull me over? Can they tell if I have insurance by running my plate? Am I being singled out for getting off work that late/early and having a nice custom painted car?
Maybe - but so what if you are?

mbv343

I have no problem being pulled over if I'm doing something wrong. The first two times I was pulled over I didn't get a ticket, I did nothing wrong. The third time I got a ticket for not having proof of insurance. I'm fine with that because thats the law. Isn't POI a secondary offense? Don't you need a primary offense to be pulled over. I do have a problem with getting pulled over for no reason. Is this something we just stand back a say "Oh well - the cops have a right to do as they please" I understand its not a big deal, but I think if it was you being pulled over for reasons that they pull out of mid air you would start getting frustrated too.

Zigner

I have no problem being pulled over if I'm doing something wrong. The first two times I was pulled over I didn't get a ticket, I did nothing wrong. The third time I got a ticket for not having proof of insurance. I'm fine with that because thats the law. Isn't POI a secondary offense? Don't you need a primary offense to be pulled over. I do have a problem with getting pulled over for no reason. Is this something we just stand back a say "Oh well - the cops have a right to do as they please" I understand its not a big deal, but I think if it was you being pulled over for reasons that they pull out of mid air you would start getting frustrated too.
I have friends who do traffic enforcement. They claim that they can find a valid reason to stop ANY car after following for just a short period of time.

mbv343

Yah - I totally understand that... I know this is such a small problem compared to what other people are going through!

asiny

Yah - I totally understand that... I know this is such a small problem compared to what other people are going through!
Carry all legal documentation/proof with you when you drive- then you get to move along. If you continue to be stopped you can contact the PD/DMV as to why your vehicle was flagged as no insurance.
The first two times I was pulled over I didn't get a ticket, I did nothing wrong.
What was the reason they pulled you over for?

HighwayMan

Super Secret Senior Member
The first two times I was pulled over I didn't get a ticket, I did nothing wrong.
Means nothing of the sort. It means you got a break each time.

I will sometimes pull someone over for valid reasons but I have no intention of issuing them a ticket - I will check to see if their license and registration are valid, whether they're drunk, etc. That is perfectly legal - the Supreme Court of the United States has said so. As long as the motorist is polite and everything checks out they are on their way.

Don't be so conceited that you think your car is the envy of everyone and that's why you get stopped. That's nonsense.

Zigner

Don't be so conceited that you think your car is the envy of everyone and that's why you get stopped. That's nonsense.
Would a bland, run-of-the-mill silver or white car catch your eye as quickly as a cherry red car with yellow flames and a racing stripe? (Everything else being equal...)

HighwayMan

Would a bland, run-of-the-mill silver or white car catch your eye as quickly as a cherry red car with yellow flames and a racing stripe? (Everything else being equal...)
Catch my eye? Obviously not. But to try to stop for some reason? Yes.

I think the drivers to watch are the ones driving the beat up pieces of crap - at least in my personal experience in the areas that I work.

I can probably count on two hands the number of cars like that I've stopped in 12 years - mostly for speeds, including one Ferrari convertible. Of course the driver said that I only stopped him because he was driving a Ferrari. He ignored the fact that he was driving at 25 over the posted speed limit. ;)

CdwJava

I feel I'm being singled out because I have a custom paint job on my Chrysler 300 and I have been pulled over 3 times since we move here in June 2011. Does the cop have probable cause to pull me over? Can they tell if I have insurance by running my plate? Am I being singled out for getting off work that late/early and having a nice custom painted car?
A nifty car with a cool paint job is designed to get attention, it's not for anonymity. You got attention. The officer noticed you, ran your plate, found no record of insurance and conducted an enforcement stop. This is lawful.

If you believe you are getting "singled out" then make sure you drive properly and have all your required paperwork handy. If your insurance and registration are valid, your license is good, and you are not otherwise breaking the law, about all the officer will do is follow along behind you, run your plate and then be on his way.

sandyclaus

It seems to me that a person who has a vehicle with a special paint job is looking to be singled out. Now you are complaining because you were?

Take CdwJava's advice. Since people are going to be attracted to you, that would include law enforcement. As long as you have all of your required paperwork in order, you should have no problem.

hobs

One thing you do need to realize is that 1. You do not own the plates on your car. They are owned by the issuing state. Some states require you to have auto insurance as a term of use. and some states require that the insurer notify the state if there is a laps of insurance. Its an imperfect world. Computer glitches happen all the time. as to being singled out , I'm not sure that i agree with that. For one , how much traffic is there anywhere in Utah at 4am? ( NYC yeah )

Something you may try is to take the ticket to the issuing dept ( city , county , state police ) and talk to either the officer that gave you the ticket or the chief of police . show them that you have and did have insurance. or just wait till your have to go to court and explain. This doesn't mean you will get out of the ticket. ( the fact that you couldn't show proof at the time may still hold ) but it may be worth a shot.

"I'm just sayin "

HighwayMan

Something you may try is to take the ticket to the issuing dept ( city , county , state police ) and talk to either the officer that gave you the ticket or the chief of police . show them that you have and did have insurance.
The "chief of police" and the police department do not adjudicate traffic tickets. Neither does the issuing officer. The courts do.

hobs

The "chief of police" and the police department do not adjudicate traffic tickets. Neither does the issuing officer. The courts do.
Oh I'm not saying it would be a sure bet by any means. My dad had a ticket "pulled" by the police chief. ( I think ) some told me it can be pulled by a county clerk via an officers request. I'm not saying it is probable, just possible. no one will know unless you try. the fact of the matter is , He did have insurance at the time of citation. just couldn't show proof at the time. he now can show proof. and rather than allowing something that chances being dropped to proceed Through the court system wasting money. but I didn't say when to gamble.

I just asked someone. You can try the prosecuting attorney and ask for a dismissal.

Last edited:

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">