• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

blocked access ramp - possible to appeal?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

any hope

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? CA

I just got a parking ticket for “blocking an access ramp” with a $310 price tag. I WAS in front of the curb cut ... last night when I got home at 11 p.m. there was no parking to be had. I squeezed into a spot on the corner. I'm on spring break right now and slept in, not thinking of the location my car was parked. I realize that ‘my story’ is subjective but what are the chances of appealing the ticket to get it dismissed or a reduced fine? What would the best tactic be? I work at a school that serves children with severe speech and physical disabilities, and have worked in with individuals with disabilities for 20 years -- I support the ADA and disability rights 100%. I've learned my lesson and will NEVER park even close to a curb cut. $310 is so much money for me. Would community work be an option if the fine wasn't reduced, even if it was?

Zigner

Senior Member, Non-Attorney
What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? CA

I just got a parking ticket for “blocking an access ramp” with a $310 price tag. I WAS in front of the curb cut ... last night when I got home at 11 p.m. there was no parking to be had. I squeezed into a spot on the corner. I'm on spring break right now and slept in, not thinking of the location my car was parked. I realize that ‘my story’ is subjective but what are the chances of appealing the ticket to get it dismissed or a reduced fine? What would the best tactic be? I work at a school that serves children with severe speech and physical disabilities, and have worked in with individuals with disabilities for 20 years -- I support the ADA and disability rights 100%. I've learned my lesson and will NEVER park even close to a curb cut. $310 is so much money for me. Would community work be an option if the fine wasn't reduced, even if it was?
So, your defense is "I was tired and there were no other spots"? Really? :rolleyes:

CdwJava

Would community work be an option if the fine wasn't reduced, even if it was?
Since parking citations are handled on a local level and not generally through the courts, I doubt that community service will be an option. You can ask the agency handling the cite, but I would tend to doubt it.

- Carl

any hope

So, your defense is "I was tired and there were no other spots"? Really? :rolleyes:

It does sound like a weak defense and I suppose that it's part of the 'story.' There was never the intention of making it difficult or dangerous for anyone by blocking the access. When I went out to my car yesterday morning (before finding the ticket) I cringed at realizing where it was parked.

Is there anything I can do or say that might lead to leniency/dismissal/reduction in fine? $310 is not an amount I freely have laying around. This past month I worked on raising $500 to pay for the cost of a missions trip i will be going on in 2 weeks to Mexico.

I_Got_Banned

When I went out to my car yesterday morning (before finding the ticket) I cringed at realizing where it was parked.
So you went out to your car, cringed, and yet decided to leave it where it was?
Why didn't you move it, or even attempt to look for a different spot!

You can make a list of all these excuses along with a list all the good deeds that you do for work. You can send that into the parking enforcement bureau but chances are, they will rule that you were in violation of parking restrictions and unless you can somehow prove otherwise, the citation will most probably stand.

any hope

Perhaps I wasn't clear. What I was trying to convey was "When I went out to my car yesterday morning TO LEAVE (before finding/SEEING the ticket ON MY WINDSHIELD) I cringed at realizing where it was parked."

So, in answer to your statement, 'NO' I did not decide to leave my car where it was. I was going out to my car to leave.

Zigner

Senior Member, Non-Attorney

Perhaps I wasn't clear. What I was trying to convey was "When I went out to my car yesterday morning TO LEAVE (before finding/SEEING the ticket ON MY WINDSHIELD) I cringed at realizing where it was parked."

So, in answer to your statement, 'NO' I did not decide to leave my car where it was. I was going out to my car to leave.
You could also have been cited for parking on the corner... :rolleyes: So, even if you DIDN'T see the ramp, you still should have known you were parked illegally.

Pay the ticket...now or after you lose...your choice.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">