• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

blocked driveway

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

blockeddriveway

What is the name of your state?What is the name of your state? NY
Does the car have to be x inches over the line or does 1 in. over qualify as a violation? One car frequently blocks part of my driveway. He doesn't block it by much, usually 3 in-1ft but it's getting annoying. I usually back into my driveway when parking. I do this to insure that when I pull out of the driveway I do so headfirst. In doing so I don't have to worry about hitting some kid running into my blind spot. I live on a 1 way street. The dilemma is since the car is parked right next to my driveway and oftentimes over, should I call the cops to get it ticketed? And if so would they? I have spoken to the offender and he says his car fits into the spot, it doesn't. I told him I would call the cops and he said go ahead. The neighbor adjacent to my house has painted the line demarcating his driveway from the street yellow and I am probably going to do the same. My neighbor across the street also painted his because of this same violator. I find it annoying to have to parallel park to get into my driveway because of this individual. Any suggestions other than calling for the cops? If so am I within my rights?

Curt581

blockeddriveway said:
Does the car have to be x inches over the line or does 1 in. over qualify as a violation? One car frequently blocks part of my driveway. He doesn't block it by much, usually 3 in-1ft but it's getting annoying. I usually back into my driveway when parking. I do this to insure that when I pull out of the driveway I do so headfirst. In doing so I don't have to worry about hitting some kid running into my blind spot. I live on a 1 way street. The dilemma is since the car is parked right next to my driveway and oftentimes over, should I call the cops to get it ticketed? And if so would they? I have spoken to the offender and he says his car fits into the spot, it doesn't. I told him I would call the cops and he said go ahead. The neighbor adjacent to my house has painted the line demarcating his driveway from the street yellow and I am probably going to do the same. My neighbor across the street also painted his because of this same violator. I find it annoying to have to parallel park to get into my driveway because of this individual. Any suggestions other than calling for the cops? If so am I within my rights?
Call the cops and complain. If he's actually blocking it, not just 'over the line an inch', they may tow it to impound.

KBenz47

Well, I live in NY too, its a good thing that you pull out of your driveway head first, but I think backing into it is illegal. Ive heard that your supposed to have a turn around spot in your driveway(hense its illegal to back in or out of your driveway) so that if you back out and someone hits your car, it would be your fault. As far as them parking in the street infront of your driveway, just wait until November or something like that, because I heard its a law that you cant park out in the street because of weather conditions(snow).
I dont know, best of luck to you though.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">