• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Blocked Driveway ticket, need help!

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Status
Not open for further replies.

pg210

I received a ticket this morning in Chicago for blocking a driveway with my car. I parked there late last night and did not see the driveway due to the time of day and leaves and shrubs blocking the entrance. Is there a law stating that driveways must be clear and visible to all motorists? I'm assuming there is which is why snow must be shoveled in the winter. If anyone knows the specific law or a way to find it please help me out.

Zigner

Senior Member, Non-Attorney
I received a ticket this morning in Chicago for blocking a driveway with my car. I parked there late last night and did not see the driveway due to the time of day and leaves and shrubs blocking the entrance. Is there a law stating that driveways must be clear and visible to all motorists? I'm assuming there is which is why snow must be shoveled in the winter. If anyone knows the specific law or a way to find it please help me out.
Strange...it was visible in the morning.

pg210

Actually it wasn't until I read what the ticket was for and walked down the driveway because it is hidden by trees, and if you're not going to be helpful don't post anything at all.

Zigner

Actually it wasn't until I read what the ticket was for and walked down the driveway because it is hidden by trees, and if you're not going to be helpful don't post anything at all.
I AM being helpful. Once you took a bit of time to actually LOOK, it was visible.

You have no case.

justalayman

what is the statute number you were cited with?

are you saying this drive is an abandoned drive and has shrubs growing across it and all that is left is the curb cut?

pg210

People do live there (which I feel terrible for as well), I was saying the driveway wasn't visible from the street and was wondering if that is against Chicago law. The citation is 9-64-100(c). Zigner is right, though I was looking for some sort of explanation why instead of a sarcastic remark.

I just discussed this with a friend of mine who's a lawyer and he said that because I'm a licensed driver I'm required to know that where I park is a legal place to park. Just a moment of bad judgment, it's my first ticket and at least my car wasn't towed.

I appreciate the help

Zigner

People do live there (which I feel terrible for as well), I was saying the driveway wasn't visible from the street and was wondering if that is against Chicago law. The citation is 9-64-100(c). Zigner is right, though I was looking for some sort of explanation why instead of a sarcastic remark.

I just discussed this with a friend of mine who's a lawyer and he said that because I'm a licensed driver I'm required to know that where I park is a legal place to park. Just a moment of bad judgment, it's my first ticket and at least my car wasn't towed.

I appreciate the help
You can't be SERIOUS that you didn't know that, as the driver, you're required to know if it's a legal place to park...

Oh, you're welcome!

justalayman

It shall be unlawful to park any vehicle in any of the following places:

(c) At any place where the vehicle will block vehicular access to or use of a driveway, alley or firelane;

the driveway wasn't visible from the street
then how does the owner know where to turn?

I can see it now;

Honey, I ran into the fence again. I was sure I knew where the driveway was this time but I guess I was wrong. We're going to have to put some runway lights out there or something.:D

and of course, the ticket agent didn't have any trouble seeing the drive.;)

in the legal world, a man who looks but does not see what is obvious to others is negligent.

Sorry but I just don't see any defense to the citation.

pg210

Haha I think you both misunderstand the point of this whole thread, I know where I can legally park what I was saying is that I DIDN'T SEE THE DRIVEWAY. I am well aware you can't block a driveway.

Also, obviously its the owners house, so I'd be fairly certain they know where their own driveway is. I wouldn't expect you to know the outer-layout of your neighbors home. It was like the entrance to the bat-cave.... and actually a light or a "do not block driveway" sign WOULD actually be helpful so your facetious remark would actually apply

pardon my inability to laugh at this situation right now, waking up to a ticket is a definite buzzkill

justalayman

I admit I was having some fun at your expense but in all reality, you have yet to explain how a driveway would be so blocked by flora that you would not recognize it as a drive yet it was still usable by the owners and obvious to the ticket agent.

It was like the entrance to the bat-cave
well, I did ask:

are you saying this drive is an abandoned drive and has shrubs growing across it and all that is left is the curb cut?
yet you refused to explain how a drive, how a currently used driveway was not obviously a drive, to you.

If for some reason it was so obscured a reasonable person would not realize it was a drive, by all means, argue that. If it is simply a case of you didn't see what everybody else did, then there is no argument for you.

pg210

You sound like it was your driveway I parked in front of, as I stated earlier this is my first ticket and it was just a case of being tired and seeing all of the leaves blocking the driveway entrance so no curb was visible and glancing in the driveway and seeing a low hanging tree and assuming there was no driveway.

You are not an attorney as you so clearly state ("and no, I am not an attorney") so I don't understand why you are taking so much time to ask me questions and comment with such a legal thought process.
This is my first time posting on a forum and I assumed it was to benefit from others experiences and expertise, not argue with an anonymous person who obviously has no knowledge in the field besides what you've seen on TJ hooker.

Argue? Is that the point of forums? To argue your side of a discrepancy with strangers when there is no benefit (as I look at my parking ticket)

So thank you buddy for reassuring me that people inherently wish to feel superior to others and even surf the internet looking for people's misfortune just to slight them.

I got a ticket for blocking their driveway and the first emotion I felt was guilt for having blocked them in when they probably needed to get to work. Put yourself in my position, what would you feel? (That's rhetorical because this thread will be ended due to its apparent pointless nature)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">