• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Blocking Driveway of people you know? (CA)

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

californian9

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? California Bay Area

I parked in a little space next to the curb in between two houses that I'm friends with. My bumper was protruding out onto one of the driveways by probably only a couple inches. However, I come out of school to find this violation "CVC 22500(e) BLOCK DRIVEWAY". Anyways, I'm just wondering if I could fight this or not I know it's only 50 bucks but It's really something I can't afford to pay. Thanks!

Last edited:

Zigner

Senior Member, Non-Attorney
What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? California Bay Area

I parked in a little space next to the curb in between two houses that I'm friends with. My bumper was protruding out onto one of the driveways by probably only a couple inches. However, I come out of school to find this violation "CVC 22500(e) BLOCK DRIVEWAY". Anyways, I'm just wondering if I could fight this or not I know it's only 50 bucks but It's really something I can't afford to pay. Thanks!
http://www.dmv.ca.gov/pubs/vctop/d11/vc22500.htm

Read it and then let us know what your defense is.

I would suggest you start saving up.

californian9

Sigh, I assumed it'd be okay since i know them. Thank you for the link, I'm assuming you wouldn't even be able to block your own driveway then?

Zigner

Senior Member, Non-Attorney
Sigh, I assumed it'd be okay since i know them. Thank you for the link, I'm assuming you wouldn't even be able to block your own driveway then?
Not according to that section of code...and I suspect the parking enforcement in "the bay area" stays right on top of this sort of thing.

FlyingRon

In California, you are not even permitted to park or stand blocking your OWN driveway. There's no provision in the code to exonerate parking or standing across driveways with the exception of the temporary standing of buses and taxicabs. In fact, the only place where I know they permit owners to block their own driveways is in NYC.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">