• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Blocking Private driveways, ticket or tow?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Kindschi

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? Missouri (City Of Florissant)

My room mate accidently parked to close to the neighbors driveway last night and they had a hard time parking, they left a nice note asking to please be more aware of where the car is parked. He waited like 13 hours to move his truck and I had to scare him with the old "Hey man your trucks getting towed!" line to get him to move it.
He claims since he was not actually blocking there driveway (he had inch's to spare) that they could not do anything to him and even if he parked right infront of there driveway there is some sorta 48hour wait period before anything can be done about it but I argued with him that they can call the police and have it towed or at least give him a ticket. Neither me or him could come up with any evidence online to support either side of what we believe was legal and not. I personally feel if my driveway was blocked I should be able to call the police and have it towed away, but can I?

Im hoping someone can provide me with a link to the actually laws regarding blocking of a Personal driveway so I can end this debate and know what my rights are incase someone blocks mine.

I found this site while searching for my answer.

Thanks,

Last edited:

FlyingRon

If you're blocking a driveway, you don't even have to have 1 minutes notice of being towed.
48hours you surely jest.

Not in front of the driveway means not any part. You can't have a bumper hanging over the line even if there's plenty of room for them to get around.

Kiawah

Don't know the laws specifically in your city/state, but at my father in law's place it is a ticket AND a tow, as soon as they can get a hook on it.

j991

Blocking the ingress/egress (entrance/exit) of any private or public drive can and should get you towed immediatly. The ticket depends on the jurisdiction, but you should get that too. It's rude obnoxious and dangerous.

Alex23

You're lucky your neighbors are so courteous. I hope you buy them some wine or some flowers to thank them.

Kindschi

Thanks Guys For the info, heres a update...

I ran into a Florissant cop (City I live in) last night at shell and asked him, He said if he got called to respond to this situation he would try to locate the owner of the truck (by knocking on the door of my house) and notify him of his mistake and have him move the truck. If he could not get ahold of the owner of the car or someone else with the ability to move it he would leave a ticket on it for the registured owner. And if requested by the resident of the house whos driveway was beeing blocked, he would have it inpounded and mail the ticket to the owner. He said each case is different but the law does allow him to order a tow for any cars blocking driveways, with or without a request from whoevers driveway is is being blocked (which he says he has had to do in the past, such as a car blocking in other at an apt complex, he said its illeagle and its a safety hazard).
He said most times the people just dont realize they blocked a drive and move there cars without any problems.
He also said a car cannot be towed for blocking a driveway without the police issuing the tow since its against the law to have any car towed if your not the owner.

patstew

He also said a car cannot be towed for blocking a driveway without the police issuing the tow since its against the law to have any car towed if your not the owner.
Not everywhere, though. For instance, in my city anyone can have a vehicle towed from their property if they don't want it there. Several of the local towing services will charge the vehicle owner in that case.:eek:

This is why it's *always* a good idea to know your local ordinances. Most can be accessed from the city's web page, or call the ticket issuing entity for where they can be found.

Kindschi

Not everywhere, though. For instance, in my city anyone can have a vehicle towed from their property if they don't want it there. Several of the local towing services will charge the vehicle owner in that case.:eek:

This is why it's *always* a good idea to know your local ordinances. Most can be accessed from the city's web page, or call the ticket issuing entity for where they can be found.
I ran into the same cop today and he added that you cannot have the car towed because the street is in front of your house is considered public land even if there is a car blocking your driveway you have no legal grounds to have it towed, however the police do. Unless they park in you driveway, he said if the tire is over the curb the owner of the property could have it towed but the best way is to notify the police and let them handle it.

Alex23

That makes sense. Most tow trucks are for vehicle assistance. Others are licensed to tow from private lots or to patrol streets for no parking zones.

If I had a problem like that I'd probably call the police, too.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">