• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Blocking sidewalk wheelchair access

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Smith2013

What is the name of your state? California

I got a parking ticket that was cited as 22500 (L) Parking unlawfully, blocking sidewalk wheelchair access. I had no idea or even thought it was considered blocking a handicapped acces at all. Im not saying that makes it ok, im just saying I had never heard of that(even when I was 15 and taking my classes the get a permit). I am a college student and can not afford to pay the $349 dollar fine. Is there a way I can get the fine reduced or dropped? Do signs have to be posted or anything like that? Or am I pretty much stuck having to pay the $349 dollar fine for something I have never heard of? Thanks for any help.What is the name of your state?

The Occultist

Ignorance is no excuse of the law.

Your only chance at getting a reduction is talking to whatever body will be holding you accountable for the ticket and see if they will sympathize. I'm fairly certain there will be no dismissal.

CdwJava

I do not know of any parking agency (city of county) that offers reductions for parking cites. It is usually an all or nothing deal. In fact, prior to a hearing on the issue you generally have to pony up the full amount for "bail", and it will be held for payment if you lose your hearing and/or appeal.

Take some photos of the area and see what happens. It might not hurt to have a hearing, but you will still have to pony up the money just in case. And if there are any hash marks on the ground or markings, you will lose out of hand. These are usually at corners (where you can't legally park anyway) or clearly marked at or near a crosswalk in mid-block. I am not sure that you will have much of a chance here.

- Carl

BelizeBreeze

What is the name of your state? California

I got a parking ticket that was cited as 22500 (L) Parking unlawfully, blocking sidewalk wheelchair access. I had no idea or even thought it was considered blocking a handicapped acces at all.
Here's a hint. Go to your University medical center, borrow a wheelchair, drive to the same spot and park as you did before, get the wheelchair out and sit down then try to get to the sidewalk ONE THE RAMP.

Im not saying that makes it ok, im just saying I had never heard of that(even when I was 15 and taking my classes the get a permit).
Thank God you didn't. Because you would probably have had to use the ramp that some idiot blocked.
I am a college student and can not afford to pay the $349 dollar fine. Is there a way I can get the fine reduced or dropped?
That's a question for the DA or judge.
Do signs have to be posted or anything like that?
The first hint would have been that little depression in the sidewalk. Most people don't need a sign to tell them "This is a cliff. If you jump you'll die".
Or am I pretty much stuck having to pay the $349 dollar fine for something I have never heard of? Thanks for any help.What is the name of your state?
You can always contact the district attorney's office and ask to do community service in lieu of....and a pair of crutches won't hurt :D

Smith2013

I know ignorance is no excuse, I just always thought that there had to be signs for handicapped ramps. Was just wondering if that was actually true, im assuming its not. This happened in a neighborhood so nothing is marked or anything. Most of the time people just get blocking an intersection being parked in the same spot I parked. I was more wondering, and I guess I didnt really state this, if I had the right to see a judge about the matter and see if I could get a reduction. Or can you not see a judge about parking violations. Newport Beach's fine for this citation is like $100 dollars more than any other place I could find. Being a college student I dont have any money, so a reduction would be great. Also, thanks for a quick response to my initial post.

Smith2013

BelizeBreeze, relax. This happened at about 11:50 at night. I ran inside to get my gym clothes. I was inside for less than 5 minutes. The guy was still writing the ticket when I came out. The streets are one way, so I parked there so that I wouldnt block traffic if a car came by. I have never seen anyone around the neighborhood in a wheelchair, let alone out that late at night. I was just playing the percentages. Sorry if you got so offended.

CdwJava

Smith2013 said:
I know ignorance is no excuse, I just always thought that there had to be signs for handicapped ramps. Was just wondering if that was actually true, im assuming its not. This happened in a neighborhood so nothing is marked or anything. Most of the time people just get blocking an intersection being parked in the same spot I parked. I was more wondering, and I guess I didnt really state this, if I had the right to see a judge about the matter and see if I could get a reduction. Or can you not see a judge about parking violations. Newport Beach's fine for this citation is like $100 dollars more than any other place I could find. Being a college student I dont have any money, so a reduction would be great. Also, thanks for a quick response to my initial post.
No judges involved. This is handled by a board or panel of officials specifically to hear these matters. If you lose the hearing and want to appeal a couple of times THEN you might get to a courtroom ... but, if you lose in court you get to pay court costs in addition to the fine.

$349 is about average. Most cities in southern California are at that level - I believe all of them in San Diego County are. In my neck of the woods we are at $250 but then our penalty hasn't changed since the 70s or 80s.

These depressions do no thave to be marked any more than my driveway does ... if it is a ramp, then don't park in front of it.

Here is Newport Beach's Parking Appeals info:

http://www.city.newport-beach.ca.us/revenue/FormsFAX_docs/ADM_review.pdf

If you feel your citation was issued in error, you may request an Administrative Review. Citations already on DMV Hold are NOT eligible for review. Please provide a written statement to the City that issued the citation. Statements must be typed or legibly hand written. You can submit with your written facts any documents and photographs to support your claim. Mail your statement and supporting material to PO Box 3080, Newport Beach, CA 92658-3080. You MUST submit your request for review within 21 days of the citation issue date or within 10 days of the mailing date of the delinquent notice.

No special form is required, however, Administrative Review forms are available online at http://www.newport-beach.ca.us , or may be picked up in person at the Revenue Division’s front counter located at City Hall. You will be notified by mail of the result of your review.

- Carl

Well color me gray and call me transparent

I Think people do not think of nobody but themselves these day! I makes me and my kitties sad. I have seen my kitties back off when I brought a runt home the other day to let her feed first, and they were hungry because I was a little late from my PT That whould be Physical Therapy to you young healthy folks that do not have a jib or jibe in your body that just hurts. Anyway they need to let the weaker ones eat but yet give them dignity!!

Now SWIMMING that sure works, it is better than that other stuff they make us do ( plus the only thing better than a man in uniform is a man in a speedo,, and they only swim late at night) so that is when I happen to go. i do not drive. ( They do not let me , sigh) but anyhow, I think rules are rules. Mr. Carl that is why I do not hit on you though I think you must look handsome in your uniform.But sigh you are married.
I have my rules and one isTWIGGY NO SNACKS BEFORE MAIL RUN> here kitty kitty kitty.

Dude, just obey the rules that count. If you can get out of this in a cool way that makes you obey in the future, Elvis( my big black cat( say ( Kueel) But please, think about others if the policeman was being a jackbutt ( hard for me to say being ((yum)) in uniform and all) Just be polite.

here kitty kitty Kitties... time for our swim! aaarghhh. i forgot they hate water.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">