• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

booted car

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

yhuky12

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? california.

my car got booted this morning and found out I owed $870 tickets plus $280 to take the boot off my car. my car is not worth much, so I'm thinking not to do anything and have it towed.

Do I still have to pay the tickets plus the fee? Can I get another car without paying these tickets?

please advise.

Thanks,
Yhuky

CdwJava

Yes, you can buy another car.

But, if it gets towed it will be stored. If not claimed within 30 days, it can be sold at auction. If the vehicle's sale does not cover the costs of the tow and storage, then the tow company will come after you for the balance. (The two bill could come to somewhere between $2,000 and $3,000 depending on where you live, and if the car does not sell for that much, then you'll be paying the balance.)

The city that holds all those parking cites you failed to pay will also take you to collections on the parking cites, so you will owe a lot of money.

It might be best to pay off the parking cites, retrieve the vehicle, THEN sell it. Or, pay off the cites and then sign the vehicle over to the tow company in exchange for what you owe right now. That way they can sell it without waiting 30 days.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">