• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Bought a Motorcycle - Altered VIN issues - Possibly stolen?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

ATP

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? California

I purchased a 1968 Harley XLH from a gentleman two weeks back Has a clean CA title with matching plates. Decided to replace the clutch-side gasket as it was leaking a little oil and posted on a Harley Davidson community to get some information on the part number and process. I was informed that I have a 1978 engine and frame, not a 1968. The VIN is on the left side of the bike, where it should be for a '68, but it's on a '78 engine and frame. The plate on the right side of the bike where the '78 VIN should be has been removed, and the stamp on the "belly" of the motor has been ground off. The transmission is on the wrong side of the bike. The brakes and shocks are wrong. Every part of this bike is a '78. So it seems I have a '78 XLH whose VIN has been completely destroyed, and had a '68 VIN stamped onto the left hand side after the fact.

The previous owner when confronted just said "A deal's a deal." and refused to comment further. So it's not like I'll be getting my money back there.

So I called my local PD who came down and told me "Well, we can't say it is stolen, but we can't say it isn't stolen. Good luck." Which is not at all helpful advice. And more importantly, seemingly leaves me with no recourse. I don't want to own a stolen bike, nor do I want to sell it on to some other unsuspecting fool. Nor do I want to keep it, ride it around for a while, and then get caught by some more knowledgeable member of law enforcement who *does* see the issue.

I know for a fact that the VIN is altered, I do not know whether or not it's stolen (though why one would alter the VIN for any other reason is beyond me). What I'd like to know is what are my options at this juncture.

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? California

I purchased a 1968 Harley XLH from a gentleman two weeks back Has a clean CA title with matching plates. Decided to replace the clutch-side gasket as it was leaking a little oil and posted on a Harley Davidson community to get some information on the part number and process. I was informed that I have a 1978 engine and frame, not a 1968. The VIN is on the left side of the bike, where it should be for a '68, but it's on a '78 engine and frame. The plate on the right side of the bike where the '78 VIN should be has been removed, and the stamp on the "belly" of the motor has been ground off. The transmission is on the wrong side of the bike. The brakes and shocks are wrong. Every part of this bike is a '78. So it seems I have a '78 XLH whose VIN has been completely destroyed, and had a '68 VIN stamped onto the left hand side after the fact.

The previous owner when confronted just said "A deal's a deal." and refused to comment further. So it's not like I'll be getting my money back there.

So I called my local PD who came down and told me "Well, we can't say it is stolen, but we can't say it isn't stolen. Good luck." Which is not at all helpful advice. And more importantly, seemingly leaves me with no recourse. I don't want to own a stolen bike, nor do I want to sell it on to some other unsuspecting fool. Nor do I want to keep it, ride it around for a while, and then get caught by some more knowledgeable member of law enforcement who *does* see the issue.

I know for a fact that the VIN is altered, I do not know whether or not it's stolen (though why one would alter the VIN for any other reason is beyond me). What I'd like to know is what are my options at this juncture.
Take the bike to a local C.H.P office and have them look at the bike, they will be more than happy to assist you. They will not tell you anything over the phone.
If your day should go from bad to worse...
have a plan B for getting home....:D
Good luck.

..___________________
~ Political correctness is a doctrine, fostered by a delusional, illogical minority,
and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that, it is entirely possible to pick up a turd by the clean end. ~ unknown

ATP

I'll have to call them and see if they'll send someone out. The transmission casing is off it, and I'm not going to finish working on it and buy parts for it until this is sorted.

ATP

Put it on a trailer and take it to them.
I'd need something to haul said trailer with.

Regardless, called up CHP today and got directed to a detective who specializes in VIN alterations and the like. They can't come out and look at it until the DMV has started to process the transfer of title. He put a note on the VIN that it's suspicious so when I go to the DMV they'll refer me to him to take a look at it. Apparently there's a paper trail that needs to be followed before they can just come look at the bike. Unfortunate, but somehow not unexpected.

Regardless, called up CHP today and got directed to a detective who specializes in VIN alterations and the like. They can't come out and look at it until the DMV has started to process the transfer of title. He put a note on the VIN that it's suspicious so when I go to the DMV they'll refer me to him to take a look at it. Apparently there's a paper trail that needs to be followed before they can just come look at the bike. Unfortunate, but somehow not unexpected.
You need to sit down and have a serious talk with yourself and decide if you really want that bike.
I get a feeling that you maybe are a first time owner of a Harley Davidson motorcycle. You don't own a Harley, it owns you. And I certainly hope you are an experienced rider. A Harley IS NOT a starter bike. You said the bike came with a clean CA. Title? Time was, you could walk out with a "clean" title in hand as long as you had the pink slip and or a bill of sale, no questions asked.
If I were you I'd part it out. A 1968 XLH made an excellent chopper if that's what you're in to.
A 1978 XLH makes an excellent boat anchor, But that's just my opinion.

..___________________
~ Politicians and diapers must be changed often,
and for the same reason.~ Mark Twain

Last edited:

Zigner

Senior Member, Non-Attorney
I'm not so sure that I'd go through the steps of having the bike titled without speaking to an attorney first.

tranquility

I agree with Zigner and drruthless, I'm not sure I would complete those steps. While there could be a defense of entrapment, knowledge of a VIN problem and attempt to transfer the vehicle could fulfill the elements of either of the crimes related to VIN tampering.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">