• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Broward, FL - Handicap Parking ticket - after hours parking lot

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

justalayman

The person picking up the employee could not park in the handicap space unless the employee s/he was picking up was handicap.

the OP's and the OP's supporters actions are actions that tends to piss me off and I was a bit lacking in clarity in the last post. Their actions are nothing less than self serving arrogance.

What I meant to infer was that if they were allowed to use the handicap spots (either the one picking up is handicapped with permit or the employee is handicapped and the car used has proper permit) they would have been prevented from utilizing said parking spot due to OP's actions.

Ozark_Sophist

Oh, I'm not picking on you. I was trying to clarify. If the employee was able bodied and all the handicap individual was doing was parking and waiting for the employee to come out, it would be unlawful to park in the handicap space because those spaces are set aside for the use of an individual with a disability.

Another example. I'm driving my M-in-L's car with a handicap placard (hers). She is riding shotgun and we are going to Wally World. I drop her off at the door and intend to pick her up at the door. I cannot legally park in a handicap space despite the placard. However, if I drop her off because there is no available handicap space at the time and wait until one becomes available, I can park in the handicap space so long as she walks to the car when she is done with her shopping.

dalongboarda

Handicap Parking Ticket - I Sympathize with you man..

Obviously you weren't paying to much attention earlier, or you're so stuck in your wheelchair you can't get out long enough to say yeah, he still broke the law but the punishment($250) doesn't fit with the infraction..or you're just unable to logically look at something like this and rationalize it.

First the OP posted this
Well, 10pm on a Friday night, only a handful of fast-food joints are open in the area. I found a Boston Market in a shopping plaza where ALL other businesses were closed. No other customers were in the Boston Market as they were closing as well. I quickly pulled up to the restaurant to get in before closing, not seeing the sign as it wasn't illuminated, and not noticing the blue paint as it was faded and of course it's 10pm and I'm exhausted.
So let's look at the facts (assuming he is telling the truth)
1) He found a Boston Market in a shopping plaza where ALL other businesses were closed
2) No other customers were in the Boston Market as they were closing as well.

Right now I am picturing a pretty empty parking lot...Let's continue..

3) The sign wasn't illuminated
4) Blue paint was faded.
Trying to see a faded blue paint at night would look almost black. Wait, that's the color of the asphalt in most parking lots. Once again we have to assume that from the information that we are given that of it's not light enough to be able see the posted sign then it is probably that much more difficult to see a blue faded paint on black asphalt (assuming it was asphalt) Even if we eliminate the last two pieces of information we are left with what would seem to be a very empty parking lot. As far as someone picking up an employee, it wouldn't affect the person in the vehicle because they don't need to get out. If the employee is the handicapped one there still isn't a problem. Like I said the parking lot seems pretty desolate. It wouldn't have been hard for the van to park a half a spot over in order to make room for the chair lift. So the only problem I could foresee would be if he parked directly on the wheelchair ramp, which he never stated he did.

So sure, he parked in a handicap spot, but it isn't a big deal. It didn't inconvenience anyone, except for the 80 yr old that probably almost had a heart attack from getting so power happy to write a ticket under those conditions

Once Again,
Brooks

justalayman

So sure, he parked in a handicap spot, but it isn't a big deal. It didn't inconvenience anyone, except for the 80 yr old that probably almost had a heart attack from getting so power happy to write a ticket under those conditions

Once Again,
Brooks
I see that ESP has improved.

The point is, "IT IS AGAINST THE LAW TO PARK IN A SPOT DESIGNATED FOR USE BY A VEHICLE WITHOUT A STATE ISSUED PARKING PERMIT ALLOWING ONE TO USE SUCH A SPOT".

There are no safe times or personal discretion options within that law.

There are many "victimless crimes" but that does not change the fact they are still against the law. They still are punished and rightfully so. The reason the fine is so high is so many idiots still refuse to abide by the law in place, such as you and OP did. If I wnat to break a law, I can usually find a personally acceptable justification. That does not change the law nor does it make my actions righteous.

Maybe you are deserving of a handicap plaquard. Not sure if lack of mental capacity justifies such issuance of a permit but it is beginning to look as you might be able to qualify if it does. Your continued arguement of "no injury" does not remove the illegal action.

justalayman

=Ozark_Sophist;1598100]Oh, I'm not picking on you. I was trying to clarify. .
I know as was my follow up post.

Another example. I'm driving my M-in-L's car with a handicap placard (hers). She is riding shotgun and we are going to Wally World. I drop her off at the door and intend to pick her up at the door. I cannot legally park in a handicap space despite the placard. However, if I drop her off because there is no available handicap space at the time and wait until one becomes available, I can park in the handicap space so long as she walks to the car when she is done with her shopping.
Actually, at least in my state, the parking in the handicap spot as you present in the first scenario, is legal. A vehicle with permit, can utilize a handicap spot as long as and ONLY when transporting the person the permit was issued on behalf of. Technically you could remain in the car while she shopped. If an officer shows up to ticket, she better be in the store though. Actually what I do not approve of is a handicap person driving a vehicle with absolutely no intention of leaving the vehicle but transporting another non-handicapped person, parking in a handicap spot. I feel this is misuse of the intention of the law and possibly prevents the use of the spot by one that will be entering the store.

moburkes

My 103 year old grandfather didn't get to park in a handicapped parking space, simply because he was tired.
My father with the amputated leg does get to park in that parking space - NOT because he is handicapped, but because he received a Rx from his doctor and got the placard.
My daughter is handicapped, but I don't use a sticker, because, since I carry her, I don't need to her to get me a free parking pass.
When I was pregnant, and on bedrest, I didn't request a handicapped placard, because I didn't feel as if I met the critera.
When I was pregnant, and in labor, I didn't need the closest space, although I probably should have taken it.
And, since you weren't the one who was pregnant, why do you get special rights?

You're an idiot. That is my judgment

dalongboarda

Now for my situation,

In your situation, you have no way of knowing exactly where every possibly vehicle that may need the loading area will be configured or what type of wheelchair is used and exactly how much space is needed to maneuver it.
Since you don't know the setup of the parking lot let me first inform you. The specific spot I am talking about is the last handicapped stall before the "normal" metered stalls. The first metered stall is a little wider than normal so I have been parking my bike almost flush up against a building, the stalls face a building. The stalls are also at an angle so there is about 2-3 feet between the curb and the miniature sidewalk/building. When I park my back tire on my bike is about even with the side of the curb that is furthest from the building. Unless they have come up with a new lift that comes out of the front hood of the car and it doesn't matter that there is a huge building a few feet in front of the vehicle, but it is completely un even from the curb and miniature sidewalk. so yes I can predict that no matter what model of chair lift they have it will be impossible for me to get in their way. No matter what.

I am not saying that I didn't break the law, I did, I just think (once again) that the punishment is a little severe for the infraction. It wasn't a mistake, I don't regret what I did.

Oh, and I am fine with the person I am now. Maybe you should try to detach yourself a little more realistic. I can admit that I broke the law, and have no problem with that. But is it that hard for you to drop the "You broke the Law" or "But their handicapped.." façade , and look at the givien circumstances. Put yourself there or imagine it was one of your friends or family. Not me, not the person that you have been debating with all night. Are you still going to tell them, "Get over yourself. You are wrong. Why make a bigger deal about it than it is. Pay your fine. Learn from your mistakes and go on with life. Let this experience make you a better person."?

Best,
Brooks

moburkes

I would hope that none of my friends or family members would be stupid and selfish enough to park in a handicap parking space, unless they are displaying the placard.

dalongboarda

moburkes I commend you on your strength, now let me get a tissue to blow my nose. Everything you just said is completely irrelavent. When I park my motorcycle, I do not stop anyone else from parking there. ONCE AGAIN, I KNOW IT IS ILLEGAL. I don't see how that makes me an idiot, so I am cheap, I may even be a little more lazy then you (thats why I want the close spot). And honestly, unless they are using crutches (those things hurt) or have such horrible respiratory problem they can't walk more than 3 feet without almost dying, or a heart problem they really don't need "the close spot" they have wheels, plus they get to sit down, it doesn't get much better then that, they can roll them self from E23 in the parking lot.

And justalayman, there is always personal discretion involved. Why do you think sometimes a cop will write a ticket and others he just gives a warning for something that might have even more unlawful? Everything has human discretion, everything involving us at least. And as far as my mental capacity is concerned, it fine I promise.

You're not getting the point though, I said that I know it is illegal. However given the circumstances do you not think the punishment is a little unjust? As a side note to your "ITS THE LAW AND YOU BROKE IT" theme. On the ticket it says the minimum fine is $50 and max is $175, for the same crime... so how do you justify then how much you're going to write the ticket for?

Brooks

moburkes

Who is "they"? My dad doesn't use crutches to walk. My daughter was born with a disability, but has just learned to walk, so I generally carry her into the store. What the hell are you talking about?

dalongboarda

MOBURKES

ONCE AGAIN, IF YOU READ ALL THE POST I DO NOT PARK IN THE PARKING SPACE. I PARK MY MOTORCYCLE ALMOST DIRECTLY INFRONT OF THE STALL. i AM NOT IN ANYONES WAY OR TAKING UP ANY OF THEIR SPACE. YOU'RE NOT UNDERSTANDING

moburkes

Why are you assuming that every handicapped person is in a wheelchair? Why are you trying to justify your illegal use of that area that you park in?

Ozark_Sophist

MOBURKES

ONCE AGAIN, IF YOU READ ALL THE POST I DO NOT PARK IN THE PARKING SPACE. I PARK MY MOTORCYCLE ALMOST DIRECTLY INFRONT OF THE STALL. i AM NOT IN ANYONES WAY OR TAKING UP ANY OF THEIR SPACE. YOU'RE NOT UNDERSTANDING
Parking in the demarcation area around the accessible space is the same thing LEGALLY as parking in the space itself.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">