• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Bull**** Double Parking Ticket

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

alloyd50

New York, NY - I left my car directly outside my building in Manhattan for a few minutes, hazards on - ran up to change my clothes and came right down, this took 5 minutes at the most, and I checked the street constantly from my 2nd floor window. Came down and NYPD is writing me a ticket - the cop knew she jumped the gun on me, when I protested that she never gave me a chance, she acted guilty but the ticket was already written and she walked away.

How do I fight this thing? Technically, yes, I was double parked. But it honestly was no more than 5 minutes, and had anyone needed to get out I was looking outside. She never gave me a chance to come back down.

Do I have a chance? I think if we go to court the cop will not fight hard.

Thanks for any advice --

racer72

Point exactly the law that allows people to double park for 5 minutes and you will have your answer.

xylene

Just a "new york" minute is not a defense.

You were double parked.

You were cited

Pay the ticket.

Or waste time and money and then pay the ticket.

Nothing you have stated is remotely a defense.

Not "checking windows"

Not "only 5 minutes"

Not "my building"

Not "no one was blocked"

Not "cop acted guilty" (whatever that means, as I have never known an NYC traffic cop to act guilty about giving a ticket.)

Unless you were not double parked or there was parking signage in effect permitting you to so park do you have a defense.

The Occultist

HAHAHA!! You're kidding, right? The law doesn't say double-parking is fine as long as it's for 5 minutes or less, it says it's not allowed at all.

Oh, but it's ok because you turned your hazards on, right?

hahahahhahahah

my daughter gave me that excuse when she got a ticket for double parking ahahahah

Said she heard the law was "if you are double parked for only a few minutes" ...hahahahah what is a few????

hahahhahah

patstew

The Occultist said:
HAHAHA!! You're kidding, right? The law doesn't say double-parking is fine as long as it's for 5 minutes or less, it says it's not allowed at all.

Oh, but it's ok because you turned your hazards on, right?
Heh -- our parking officers say blinking hazards just advertise that someone is parking illegally. The lights draw attention and make it easier to catch them! :cool:

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">