• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Burden of proof.

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Austin Tashis

What is the name of your state? Pennsylvania

I just got a notice of an unpaid ticket from the University of Pennsylvania.

The reason I never paid is that I never received the ticket.

The reason I didn't receive a ticket is that neither I nor my car was anywhere near U Penn on the date in question.

Obviously the person who issued the ticket must have written down the wrong plate number.

The notice says all appeals must be accompanied by a full payment. I have no intention of sending them any money. Are they kidding? They screwed up and I'm supposed to trust them to return my money? Oh, and get this: I'm supposed to appeal within 20 days of the violation. When did I get the notice? 20 days after the date of violation. :rolleyes:

I can prove that I was at work on the date in question, but it seems a little odd that I should have to. Whatever happened to presumption of innocence? I'd rather let them prove that my car, parked at my home in the suburbs, somehow drove itself to the U Penn campus and back home again while I was at work in downtown Philadelphia.

I've sent them an e-mail explaining that they made a mistake. If they don't just drop it, what are my legal options? If they take me to court and lose, can I make them pay all my expenses? I don't see where it's my responsibility to be inconvenienced for their screwup, let alone incur any expense.

Austin Tashis

Yeah, fortunately they did the right thing, but I think this raises a lot of issues. Why should owning a parking lot give someone the right to send people notices demanding they send them money and then plead to get it back?

Can't they figure out a way to enforce their parking regulations without making these kinds of mistakes? I mean, would it kill them to take a picture of the license plate with a digital camera so they can verify the number? It might just help them in disputed cases. When the tickets are paid, they can delete the image file.

markdavis2

I do not see how some colleges can enforce some of there fines. At my school in Texas they will withhold Grades and Transcripts until the fine is paid. I know a little about law, and the 7th amendment should give the right to have a trail to prove my civil guilt. Also, The 14th should enforce, "Due Process", this as well. I have had a few college parking tickets, and most were friends driving my car. Does having the right to a trial apply here, considering that they will withhold Grades and Transcripts? What do ya'll think?

Thanks,

Mark

Austin Tashis

I do not see how some colleges can enforce some of there fines. At my school in Texas they will withhold Grades and Transcripts until the fine is paid. I know a little about law, and the 7th amendment should give the right to have a trail to prove my civil guilt. Also, The 14th should enforce, "Due Process", this as well. I have had a few college parking tickets, and most were friends driving my car. Does having the right to a trial apply here, considering that they will withhold Grades and Transcripts? What do ya'll think?

Thanks,

Mark
When I was at Cornell I got a lot of fines that were outrageously unfair, so when they ask me for money, I tell them I already gave. You'd think at some point they'd make the connection between mistreated students and disgruntled alumni, but they don't. I guess if they'd rather rip off students for a few hundred than get thousands in contributions later, that's their choice, but it's pretty short-sighted.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">