• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Bus Stop Violation

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

alyssa29

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)?
Massachusetts

Good afternoon!
About 10 days ago I received a parking ticket violation in Massachusetts for parking in a bus zone. As I understand it, my car was not in a bus zone as such but a few feet before the beginning of a bus stop sign. The car behind me was in fact standing in a bus zone (i.e. between the bus stop signs). I basically think that I got a ticket because of this car.

The side of the street where I was parked is a metered one, however, there is no meter behind the car that I was parked after and before the beginning of a bus stop. There are no signs either prohibiting parking in this spot – therefore it is a very popular spot among the locals. I’ve been parking there for 7 years and never got a single ticket.

I found online that “…the bus stop begins at the bus stop sign and extends……”

I have pictures. Can someone comment on my situation? Do I have a chance disputing this ticket?

Thank you!

Just Blue

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)?
Massachusetts

Good afternoon!
About 10 days ago I received a parking ticket violation in Massachusetts for parking in a bus zone. As I understand it, my car was not in a bus zone as such but a few feet before the beginning of a bus stop sign. The car behind me was in fact standing in a bus zone (i.e. between the bus stop signs). I basically think that I got a ticket because of this car.

The side of the street where I was parked is a metered one, however, there is no meter behind the car that I was parked after and before the beginning of a bus stop. There are no signs either prohibiting parking in this spot – therefore it is a very popular spot among the locals. I’ve been parking there for 7 years and never got a single ticket.

I found online that “…the bus stop begins at the bus stop sign and extends……”

I have pictures. Can someone comment on my situation? Do I have a chance disputing this ticket?

Thank you!

Was this in Boston proper or another major city?

Zigner

Senior Member, Non-Attorney
If you're talking about the vehicle on the near side of the street...it's obvious that you're in the bus zone. You're parked AFTER the sign indicating the start of it. Of course, we can't see the sign, so I am guessing a bit.

LillianX

I have never seen an MBTA bus stop that starts at the BEGINNING of a block. They're usually at the end of each block, with a couple of exceptions in Davis Square, where it's basically a free for all, and they tend to be in the middle of the blocks on Highland. It looks like you're pretty clearly parked after the sign, so you deserved the ticket.

Your pictures don't show much. They show one of the two MBTA signs that would designate where the bus zone is, and they're sideways, so folks have to crane their heads to see them. Where is the other sign?

alyssa29

My car is a black Toyota:

In the first picture - it is on the opposite side of the street right before the start of a bus zone.

On the second and third pictures it shows how far it is from the black pole (the beginning of the bus zone).

alyssa29

LilianX and others - I see why it is confusing! There is another black car on the near side of the street that Z. is talking about - it is actually right across from it - clearly indicating the bus stop range.

I will post additional pictures soon - thank you all!

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">