• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

CA 72 hr parking?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

chrisbo

I live in Los Angeles, CA. I went out of town this weekend and left one of my cars parked on a street with no restricted parking. I have had it parked there since early last week with a 'For Sale' sign in the window. I came back today and found it was towed for violating a 72 limit on street parking in one spot?! Where did this law come from? Where is this taught? Can I do anything to get out of this BS?What is the name of your state?

patstew

chrisbo said:
I live in Los Angeles, CA. I went out of town this weekend and left one of my cars parked on a street with no restricted parking. I have had it parked there since early last week with a 'For Sale' sign in the window. I came back today and found it was towed for violating a 72 limit on street parking in one spot?! Where did this law come from? Where is this taught? Can I do anything to get out of this BS?
Wherever you live, you're responsible for knowing the laws.

CdwJava

chrisbo said:
I live in Los Angeles, CA. I went out of town this weekend and left one of my cars parked on a street with no restricted parking. I have had it parked there since early last week with a 'For Sale' sign in the window. I came back today and found it was towed for violating a 72 limit on street parking in one spot?! Where did this law come from? Where is this taught? Can I do anything to get out of this BS?What is the name of your state?
Many cities have 72 hour parking rules ... not many TOW them after 72 hours, but I don't believe there is anything preventing this.

Who towed it and under what authority? If the police or parking enforcement did not authorize the tow (citing a specific Vehicle Code section), then i would suspect a "bandit tow" operation.

- Carl

TYRIS

chrisbo said:

22651. Any peace officer, as defined in Chapter 4.5 (commencing
with Section 830) of Title 3 of Part 2 of the Penal Code, or any
regularly employed and salaried employee, who is engaged in directing
traffic or enforcing parking laws and regulations, of a city,
county, or jurisdiction of a state agency in which a vehicle is
located, may remove a vehicle located within the territorial limits
in which the officer or employee may act, under any of the following
circumstances:

(k) When any vehicle is parked or left standing upon a highway for
72 or more consecutive hours in violation of a local ordinance
authorizing removal.

-This is the code section parking inforcement would use for removal. Check with the tow company and ask to see a copy of the CHP-180 form. If parking enforcement towed your vehicle they will have one.

Tyris

CdwJava

TYRIS said:
-This is the code section parking inforcement would use for removal. Check with the tow company and ask to see a copy of the CHP-180 form. If parking enforcement towed your vehicle they will have one.

Tyris
Unfortunately, there has been a big problem in some places - like L.A. - where tow operators have been doing this on their own and without the direction of the police.

Plus! If the police or parking enforcement authorized the tow, it will be entered into CLETS as a stored vehicle and they will have some record of the impound.

Chrisbo, if they refuse to show you the CHP 180, then contact the local law enforcement and parking agencies about the issue. if they did not authorize the tow, chances are you have a good case against them.

- Carl

ENASNI

CdwJava said:
Unfortunately, there has been a big problem in some places - like L.A. - where tow operators have been doing this on their own and without the direction of the police.

Plus! If the police or parking enforcement authorized the tow, it will be entered into CLETS as a stored vehicle and they will have some record of the impound.

Chrisbo, if they refuse to show you the CHP 180, then contact the local law enforcement and parking agencies about the issue. if they did not authorize the tow, chances are you have a good case against them.

- Carl
What is UP with the towing problems? You are sooo correctamundo ( as my hero Fonzi would say). I have some friends up there that have some colleagues that are completely up in arms about this!!!

efflandt

What specific statute was cited for the parking ticket? 15.64.200 cited by ENASNI and whatever spelled out by TYRIS refer to "a highway".

I imagine that 15.64.060 (overnight) or 070 (48 hr limit in West Hollywood) could apply, or other statutes if a truck, trailer, commercial vehicle, or other local ordinance.

CdwJava

CVC 360. "Highway" is a way or place of whatever nature, publicly
maintained and open to the use of the public for purposes of
vehicular travel. Highway includes street.

- Carl

silverado

Same boat

Okay, I have the same experience tonight.

I will ask the tow company for the CHP 180 form, but my question is if they fail to come up with the form does that mean I can take the company to small claims court and get my tow money back (less than $300)?

What if a resident made the call? Is that enough ground for the tow company to tow the vehicle without the CHP or parking enforcement's authorization?

Any quick response is appreciated. I am picking up my vehicle tomorrow, 02/14. My sad Valentine's Day.

CdwJava

Okay, I have the same experience tonight.

I will ask the tow company for the CHP 180 form, but my question is if they fail to come up with the form does that mean I can take the company to small claims court and get my tow money back (less than $300)?

What if a resident made the call? Is that enough ground for the tow company to tow the vehicle without the CHP or parking enforcement's authorization?

Any quick response is appreciated. I am picking up my vehicle tomorrow, 02/14. My sad Valentine's Day.
This is a two year old thread - please start your own thread for anything further.

In short, the tow company will have a copy of the 180 - or SHOULD have - if law enforcement authorized the tow.

Without knowing who towed your vehicle from where, and why, it's impossible to say what remedies might be available if the tow was unlawful.

- Carl

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">