• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

CA Fix-it ticket while moving to Utah

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

MattO

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? California

So I have just moved to Utah and had to leave my truck in California due to a bad oil pump. We got the issue fixed, but the truck smoked like a chimney while it burned off the excess oil built up in the exhaust. While limping the truck home form the shop, dad was given a fix-it ticket for the truck. We haven't received it in the mail yet, but I want to get my ducks in a row if I can and see what my options are.

The truck was registered in California at the time, but we have been planning to move it here to me in Utah for a while. I have no issue paying the fine, court fees, etc. but I need my truck before winter hits here and if the ticket requires a smog ref appointment it might seriously delay the move. I need to know if I can just pay the fine and register the truck here without seeing a smog ref and the ticket will be taken care of, or if the ticket will never be cleared, despite that the truck is no longer registered in California.

Zigner

Senior Member, Non-Attorney
What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? California

So I have just moved to Utah and had to leave my truck in California due to a bad oil pump. We got the issue fixed, but the truck smoked like a chimney while it burned off the excess oil built up in the exhaust. While limping the truck home form the shop, dad was given a fix-it ticket for the truck. We haven't received it in the mail yet, but I want to get my ducks in a row if I can and see what my options are.

The truck was registered in California at the time, but we have been planning to move it here to me in Utah for a while. I have no issue paying the fine, court fees, etc. but I need my truck before winter hits here and if the ticket requires a smog ref appointment it might seriously delay the move. I need to know if I can just pay the fine and register the truck here without seeing a smog ref and the ticket will be taken care of, or if the ticket will never be cleared, despite that the truck is no longer registered in California.
What code section is shown on the citation as being violated?

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">