• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

CA Seat Belt Law Regarding Older Cars

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

McGintoy

What is the name of your state? California.

I drive an older car. It is a 1967 VW, and it does not have seat belts in the back seat. I heard from a friend that if your car was not built with seat belts in the back seat, you are not required to have them. But if you choose to install them, then they must be worn. Is this information accurate, because I want to know if it is ok to have friends sit in the back seat.

Thanks

ENASNI

f) Every owner of a motor vehicle, including every owner or operator of a taxicab, as defined in Section 27908, or a limousine for hire, operated on a highway shall maintain safety belts in good working order for the use of occupants of the vehicle. The safety belts shall conform to motor vehicle safety standards established by the United States Department of Transportation. This subdivision does not, however, require installation or maintenance of safety belts where not required by the laws of the United States applicable to the vehicle at the time of its initial sale.

http://www.mrtraffic.com/seatbelt.htm

Wouldn't you feel bad if anybody got hurt if you didn't install any belts for their protection though?

CdwJava

McGintoy said:
What is the name of your state? California.

I drive an older car. It is a 1967 VW, and it does not have seat belts in the back seat. I heard from a friend that if your car was not built with seat belts in the back seat, you are not required to have them. But if you choose to install them, then they must be worn. Is this information accurate, because I want to know if it is ok to have friends sit in the back seat.

Thanks
Yes, the information is accurate - by the skin of your teeth (CVC 27315(f) I believe). However,it does NOT exempt you from civil liability for anyone injured in the back seats and if you intend to have any chldren in the car 6 or under, they better be in proper safety restraints.

- Carl

McGintoy

Alright, thanks. I won't be transporting children in the backseat, I just wanted to make sure it was ok if I let my friends sit back there so I can be a driver when we go places.

reamann

Alright, thanks. I won't be transporting children in the backseat, I just wanted to make sure it was ok if I let my friends sit back there so I can be a driver when we go places.
Unless you want your "friend's" lives to be endangered every time you drive, I suggest you install seat belts in the back seats.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">