• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

CA seatbelt ticket

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

SkeeterNetter

I work out of the country 9months of the year and my job requires that I don't wear a seat belt for security reasons. When I first get home, which is only for 30 days at a time, it is hard to remember to wear a seat belt. My wife is always reminding me. I was stopped the other day and given a ticket for not having a seat belt on. Would it be hard to fight this ticket.

justalayman

Yes. Especially considering you are a California resident when in the US, it gives you even less of an excuse to not wear your seat belt.

Using your argument, a postal worker, garbage truck driver, and any of the other exempted classes of drivers would be able to defend a seatbelt ticket when off duty based on the fact they don't have to wear it all day long while working.

Have your wife remind you of all the laws in California you have to follow that might slip your mind; write a note and stick it on the refrigerator; put a reminder in your phone, ipad, or whatever else you might use. Iphones have a neat thing that you can set the reminder to be based on leaving or entering some specific geographical area. If you could utilize that, when you get back to California, it would automatically remind you you have to wear your seat belt.

Since all cars I am aware of have a seat belt warning light and audible indicator, I really cannot even begin to grasp your argument. That noisy little light is usually adequate to remind most people to buckle up.

Zigner

Senior Member, Non-Attorney
Have your wife remind you of all the laws in California you have to follow that might slip your mind; write a note and stick it on the refrigerator; put a reminder in your phone, ipad, or whatever else you might use. Iphones have a neat thing that you can set the reminder to be based on leaving or entering some specific geographical area. If you could utilize that, when you get back to California, it would automatically remind you you have to wear your seat belt.
Heck, OP could simply watch TV for a few minutes - they're having an ad blitz lately to remind people to buckle up.

HighwayMan

Super Secret Senior Member
Not wearing a seat belt because you're not used to wearing one is hardly a defense that any judge will likely entertain.

Isis1

Not wearing a seat belt because you're not used to wearing one is hardly a defense that any judge will likely entertain.
quite honestly, to this day, i still don't understand how that law got passed and why. my employer's line of work is delivery. having run a few of the routes myself. i still wore my seatbelt. i was in less danger while wearing it. the route i ran was more dangerous being parked in your car than walking through a freeway. course, Lindsey Lohan is still running loose out here.

It's not likely to be a valid defense, but if you show up to the court date, the judge will likely reduce your fine by $100 or $200 in exchange for a guilty plea.

You can also try challenging the ticket and see what happens. If the Officer doesn't appear in court (or respond to a written declaration if you want to take that route) the ticket will probably get dismissed.

Last edited:

EmmeRose

It's not likely to be a valid defense, but if you show up to the court date, the judge will likely reduce your fine by $100 or $200 in exchange for a guilty plea.
Just out of curiosity? How much is a ticket for not wearing a seat belt in CA? Here in ND it's $20. Same for failure to yield, going up to 10 mph over the speed limit and running a stop sign.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">