• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

CA unlawfully registered vehicle?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

markspire

What is the name of your state? CA

My parents received a letter of investigation from the Department of California Highway Patrol. It was signed by a Foreign Registration Officer, Commercial Vehicle Section. The letter is in regard to "California residents who unlawfully register their vehicles in other states." The letter advises that, "We will close our investigation if you mail a copy of appropriate registration to the above listed address within 20 days of the date of this letter. However, if we do not hear from you and a completed investigation reveals the registered owner or primary driver is a California resident, criminal action may be initiated."

My parents are CA residents and they also own commercial and rental properties in MO. My brother is a resident of MO. Two years ago, my parents purchased a vehicle (Toyota Corolla) in MO for my brother to use when he manages their properties. They registered the vehicle in MO under my mother's name. My brother drove this vehicle to CA several months ago to visit my parents and he returned to MO in a truck, loaded with items for their MO properties. My brother will be returning to CA in July, to pick up the Corolla and then return to MO where the vehicle will remain. It has only been driven in CA a few times.

Since my brother is a MO resident, is the primary driver, and uses the vehicle for work in MO, will they still have to register the vehicle in CA? Can they just transfer the title to my brother or their MO corporation? My parents are currently in MO on business. What are their options? Please help!

CdwJava

Well, they can always remove the vehicle from the state sending it back to MO. Or, they can register the vehicle here.

CA does not recognize "several months" as being a legitimate visitor ... we call that a resident. In fact, if he has been here for several months your brother will need to get a CA license. The other option is change the MO title to the brother so that when he is gone, and the vehicle is gone, the matter will be resolved.

- Carl

markspire

Thanks Carl,

The vehicle is paid off, so transferring the title to my brother shouldn't be a problem. My brother will be returning to CA in July, so we'll make sure the car stays parked until he can remove it to MO.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">