• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

CA-Vehicle Registration Collections

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

imaguitargod

What is the name of your state? California.

Hi, first time posting. My employer received a Earnings Withholding Order-Vehicle Registration Collections letter from the State of California Franchise Tax Board (for a total of $898.00). First off, my tags on my car have been expired for 2 years and I have about 6 parking tickets on the car (a 1975 AMC Gremlin). The address they have for me is completely wrong (I submitted a new address, the correct one, two and a half years ago) and have not received any notices about the tickets or registration renewal offers. What questions I am looking to have answered before I contact their offices and before my employer fills out the form are;
1. Are they allowed to garnish my wages without a court order (and if I'm getting this form, does it mean they have received a court order).
2. Since I am a under the classification of a contractor, does this garnishment of wages apply to me?
3. Can I fight this in court/get the garnishment delayed?
4. If I sell my car and this will go away?
5. If a junk yard buys the car and then marks the car as salvaged, will this go away?
6. If I leave the car on the street to get towed after parting out the car, can I file for it not being mine and this ticket business will go away?
7. Does my employer have to fill out the form and return it?
8. Any other advise will be much appreciated.

Thanks very much for the help guys!

racer72

1. In some instances government agencies can enact garnishments without a court order, child support is a good example. In this case I would say no.
2. Yes, garnishment can apply to all compensation.
3. Sure, it might be the only way to delay a garnishment.
4. Nope. The debt is yours forever unless it is paid or a court finds you not liable.
5. See #4.
6. See #4. Plus you could be found liable for towing and storage charges too.
7. Yes. Your employer could face some sanctions or penalties if they don't.
8. A consultation with a local attorney would be a good first step.

patstew

imaguitargod said:
What is the name of your state? California.
Hi, first time posting.
Your header says "Posts: 2" -- what's up with that?

imaguitargod said:
My employer received a Earnings Withholding Order-Vehicle Registration Collections letter from the State of California Franchise Tax Board (for a total of $898.00). First off, my tags on my car have been expired for 2 years and I have about 6 parking tickets on the car (a 1975 AMC Gremlin). The address they have for me is completely wrong (I submitted a new address, the correct one, two and a half years ago) and have not received any notices about the tickets or registration renewal offers.
Oh, I get it -- IT'S A JOKE! :rolleyes:

Zigner

Senior Member, Non-Attorney
This must be the same car his friend dumped on him over a year ago...smart friend!

doxy

dmv took our tax refund 'ughhh'

Dmv sent us a letter stating they intercepted our tax refund, the fee's they are taking our tax refund for have already been paid in full!
i sent the collection agency a copy of the registration showing it has been paid in full, and i sent it "priority" how long should it take them to reimburse our money to us/

Zigner

Senior Member, Non-Attorney
Dmv sent us a letter stating they intercepted our tax refund, the fee's they are taking our tax refund for have already been paid in full!
i sent the collection agency a copy of the registration showing it has been paid in full, and i sent it "priority" how long should it take them to reimburse our money to us/
I would imagine anywhere from 1 day to 983 days.
For a better answer, call THEM!

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">