• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

California Tint Law

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

vipervin

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? California

I received a ticket for my tint this morning. There is a section, "Correctable Violation" with YES or NO boxes. However, the cop did not check either. I am not sure if this is considered as a fix-it ticket.

Regardless, I wanted to know if I could just pay off the ticket and not remove my tint. Will I receive a point on my record?

edit: Searching on google, it seems that I can go to court, plead guilty, pay the fine, but keep the tint without getting any points. Is this true?

Zigner

Senior Member, Non-Attorney
What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? California

I received a ticket for my tint this morning. There is a section, "Correctable Violation" with YES or NO boxes. However, the cop did not check either. I am not sure if this is considered as a fix-it ticket.

Regardless, I wanted to know if I could just pay off the ticket and not remove my tint. Will I receive a point on my record?
The law requires that your tint be removed.
Is there a reason you feel you're above the law? :rolleyes:

vipervin

The law requires that your tint be removed.
Is there a reason you feel you're above the law? :rolleyes:
That is not what I asked. I am obviously not above the law, but I have two solid reasons to keep the tint (both not valid in CA law). Back to the original question: Will I receive a point or not?

Last edited:

xylene

The law requires the tint to be removed.

If you cannot establish to the court that you have correct the violation or otherwise disposed of the car lawfully, you can face additional penalties.

Further, there is nothing to stop you from getting another ticket.

If you are hell bent on this "take my chances" attitude about your illegal vehicle mods then why look for legal advice.

vipervin

I am not here to debate the morality behind window tint. I am only asking a simple question as to whether a point will be on my record (after paying the associated tint fine) vs. removing the tint and only paying the court processing fee.

xylene

That question is answered.

If you fail to correct the violation the court can (will) impose additional penalties.

Make a habit of it and you'll get a nice suspension.

In CA, you cannot just "pay the fine", like some kind of rent to the state for your illegal tint, and then wait for another ticket, and keep doing that.

The state requires you remove it, and can and will enforce penalties when you don't.

Other states tint laws are more lenient.

Zigner

Senior Member, Non-Attorney
Obviously, OP is here to justify his two solid (but invalid) reasons for having tint :rolleyes:

CdwJava

It is normally correctable. When you get the tint removed, you can get it signed off by a peace officer or appropriate DMV employee and bring this proof of correction to your court date.

It is approximately $108 and zero points. But, you can get cited each and every day the tint remains. You can also get cited for a much more serious offense for failing to correct the violation.

edit: Searching on google, it seems that I can go to court, plead guilty, pay the fine, but keep the tint without getting any points. Is this true?
Yes ... but you can keep getting more cites, and the more serious one fro failure to correct.

- Carl

msiron

And you think your sarcasm is funny. I have medical exemption for the tint, but this is only valid in every state except CA.
Explain to me how a medical exemption for tint can be valid for every state except CA when it is a state by state, vehicle registered in said state issue.

And if you have a REAL RMV medical exemption (from your doc turned into your state RMV and approved) for the tint from your state you must have a little decal affixed, why would CA not honor it from an out of state vehicle, this does not make any sense.

I have a MA tint exemption myself which is good in ALL states, it goes with my car.

CdwJava

While I cannot speak for other states, I do not believe CA has a specific decal or document that allows for a tint exception. However, I HAVE seen individuals who have the information in the form of a handy doctor's note, plus the driver tends to have seriously large sunglasses on, and (depending on the condition) may be nearly fully covered in clothing even on a warm day. Officers tend to enforce tint because it dovetails with drug and/or gang activity, as well as car clubs and such. If someone who looks like they have a medical need presents such info, they are likely to be believed and cut a break.

In any event, the medical need can be raised at the court trial if cited. While there appears to be no mechanism in place to proactively exempt a patient from the tint laws, it can be used as a defense.

- Carl

CourtClerk

And if you have a REAL RMV medical exemption (from your doc turned into your state RMV and approved) for the tint from your state you must have a little decal affixed, why would CA not honor it from an out of state vehicle, this does not make any sense.
Because CA law is VERY specific about their window tint laws... Certain windows CAN NOT BE tinted, no matter what... there is no exception in the vehicle code. There is a mention of shading devices that can be used, but because MA allows you the tint, doesn't mean CA has to honor it (and we won't).

(a) (1) A person shall not drive any motor vehicle with any
object or material placed, displayed, installed, affixed, or applied
upon the windshield or side or rear windows.
(2) A person shall not drive any motor vehicle with any object or
material placed, displayed, installed, affixed, or applied in or upon
the vehicle that obstructs or reduces the driver's clear view
through the windshield or side windows.
(3) This subdivision applies to a person driving a motor vehicle
with the driver's clear vision through the windshield, or side or
rear windows, obstructed by snow or ice.
(b) This section does not apply to any of the following:
(1) Rearview mirrors.
(2) Adjustable nontransparent sunvisors that are mounted forward
of the side windows and are not attached to the glass.
(3) Signs, stickers, or other materials that are displayed in a
7-inch square in the lower corner of the windshield farthest removed
from the driver, signs, stickers, or other materials that are
displayed in a 7-inch square in the lower corner of the rear window
farthest removed from the driver, or signs, stickers, or other
materials that are displayed in a 5-inch square in the lower corner
of the windshield nearest the driver.
(4) Side windows that are to the rear of the driver.
(5) Direction, destination, or termini signs upon a passenger
common carrier motor vehicle or a schoolbus, if those signs do not
interfere with the driver's clear view of approaching traffic.
(6) Rear window wiper motor.
(7) Rear trunk lid handle or hinges.
(8) The rear window or windows, if the motor vehicle is equipped
with outside mirrors on both the left- and right-hand sides of the
vehicle that are so located as to reflect to the driver a view of the
highway through each mirror for a distance of at least 200 feet to
the rear of the vehicle.
(9) A clear, transparent lens affixed to the side window opposite
the driver on a vehicle greater than 80 inches in width and that
occupies an area not exceeding 50 square inches of the lowest corner
toward the rear of that window and that provides the driver with a
wide-angle view through the lens.
(10) Sun screening devices meeting the requirements of Section
26708.2 installed on the side windows on either side of the vehicle's
front seat, if the driver or a passenger in the front seat has in
his or her possession a letter or other document signed by a licensed
physician and surgeon certifying that the person must be shaded from
the sun due to a medical condition, or has in his or her possession
a letter or other document signed by a licensed optometrist
certifying that the person must be shaded from the sun due to a
visual condition. The devices authorized by this paragraph shall not
be used during darkness.
I have a MA tint exemption myself which is good in ALL states, it goes with my car.
Who told you that? When driving in CA, you are subject to CA laws. I am aware of no univeral tint exemption...

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">