• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Can I buy a car?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

ImSuspended22

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? Ohio

I am 22 years old and I made a really stupid mistake. I knowingly allowed my (now ex) boyfriend who didn't have a license to drive my car. An officer attempted to pull us over, and because he had outstanding warrants, he ran from the police in my car (I was in the car with him). I was charged with wrongful entrustment and my license was suspended for a year. However, I was given driving privileges to and from work, to seek work, and to and from community service. I was on my way to work one afternoon and was in a head-on collision. My car was totaled. I have heard from several people (including my attorney) that because I don't have a valid license, I can't buy another car. But, my little sister bought a truck 3 months before she even got her permit, the truck is in her name, and she paid cash for it. Also, my dad works for the Amish and they buy vehicles for their businesses all the time but they don't have licenses - they hire people to drive their vehicles for them.

So, who is right? Can I buy a car, even though I have a suspended license with work privileges?

ecmst12

Your insurance will likely be through the roof, but I don't see any reason why you couldn't buy a car.

sandyclaus

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? Ohio

I am 22 years old and I made a really stupid mistake. I knowingly allowed my (now ex) boyfriend who didn't have a license to drive my car. An officer attempted to pull us over, and because he had outstanding warrants, he ran from the police in my car (I was in the car with him). I was charged with wrongful entrustment and my license was suspended for a year. However, I was given driving privileges to and from work, to seek work, and to and from community service. I was on my way to work one afternoon and was in a head-on collision. My car was totaled. I have heard from several people (including my attorney) that because I don't have a valid license, I can't buy another car. But, my little sister bought a truck 3 months before she even got her permit, the truck is in her name, and she paid cash for it. Also, my dad works for the Amish and they buy vehicles for their businesses all the time but they don't have licenses - they hire people to drive their vehicles for them.

So, who is right? Can I buy a car, even though I have a suspended license with work privileges?
If you get your driving privileges suspended or revoked in the state of Ohio, you are no longer legally allowed to drive (with the exceptions as noted, for driving to and from work, community service, etc.). However, a suspended license doesn't change your rights to own or transfer property, including automobiles.

OHRoadwarrior

You can purchase a car, however will not be able to insure yourself on it, as you have no operators license. This will prevent you from legally obtaining plates.

HighwayMan

Super Secret Senior Member
You can purchase a car, however will not be able to insure yourself on it, as you have no operators license.
She said she does have a license. How else is she legally driving?

If she is subject to a Limited Driving Privilege Order then she must have a valid license.

ecmst12

You can get insurance with a suspended license, it will just be expensive.

If the owner has no legal driving priviledges at ALL, the owner may not be able to be listed as a DRIVER on the policy, but they can still be protected as the owner when the listed driver is driving it. If a listed driver has an accident and there's a lawsuit, both the driver and the owner will be named in the suit, so they would both need to be on the policy.

In this case, the license is actually limited, not fully suspended, so she can still be insured as a driver.

Last edited:

dab729

I got a letter in the mail saying I can't get a registration but it doesn't say my license is suspended I need help.

I bought a car, then found out my license was suspended, I didn't pay a ticket in full.

justalayman

I got a letter in the mail saying I can't get a registration but it doesn't say my license is suspended I need help.

I bought a car, then found out my license was suspended, I didn't pay a ticket in full.
start your own thread please

justalayman

Well I found this thread from the internet, I figured since these two issues were so similar that I could find advice without starting a thread
each situation is an individual situation. As well, tagging your situation onto another person's thread will cause confusion. It is really not that difficult to start your own thread.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">